Chapter Nine: Inej

I know, I've done a lot of Inej and Kaz, but this story kind of revolves around them. I promise the next chapter will be Jesper or Nina.

Kaz. He was the only thing that she could think about. Inej didn't get it. He would pretend to love her one day, then act like that day never happened. But she had to trust, as friends, he would come for her. But he would always protect his investments over someone, so he wouldn't give up the Crow Club for her. And he'd been doing research on the new Parem, and it was dangerous, Kaz was good still on the inside, he wouldn't let it fall into the wrong hands. At least she hoped so. Inej watched him limp out of view, her heart cracking slightly. The cold metal of the gun was lowered from her temple, and she let out a breath of relief. The hand squeezing her arm slackened.

"Walk," the man ordered, pushing on her back with the gun. Inej walked where he was pushing her, carefully stepping over the dust-covered bodies of the unconscious men. The man behind her and Inej made their way through the piles of garbage until the man grunted,

"Well, this is as far as you go seeing." Then he lowered the gun, and she heard it click in a holster. Run! Her body screamed, but she hesitated, and in a second a blindfold was over her eyes.

"Keep walking." Inej didn't like not being able to see, but soon she ran into cool metal. A car. She was shoved into a seat and a seatbelt clicked across her body. Then a door slammed closed, and another opened and closed. The car started. Inej thought about a plan as she was driven away. She sat up straight and was quiet until the man asked,

"Are you upset?"

"Why would I be upset?" she rasped, not able to hide the emotion in her voice.

"Because the boy you've crushed on forever just left you to die."

"He won't let me die."

"Right." Inej swallowed and kept her head forwards. After about thirty minutes they stopped. Inej was pushed through a cold building until she was pushed to the floor, and a door closed, the blind fold ripped off her.

"Now, you're going to tell me everything you know about Brekker." Inej looked up at the man with narrowed eyes, pushing her hair out of her face.

"I won't ever tell you anything." He took out a knife and came over to her.

"Why must you make it so hard?" He brought the knife down, poised just below her cheekbone.

"Don't make me do this." She raised her chin in defiance. Her first scream was the loudest.

(The next morning)

Inej blinked a few times before picking up her head from the cold metal floor. She panicked for a moment, then realized where she was. She was in a metal room, with only a thick, locked metal door the way out. She stood up on shaking knees, and grimaced as her left armed moved. The door opened and in came the same man. Though he wasn't wearing a ski mask. She took in his features. He had pale skin with blonde hair and grey eyes. He looked her over. He was holding a tray of food and a bowl of water with a rag in it.

"Good morning, my darling," he smiled. Inej glared at him. He set the tray before her.

"Eat," he coaxed. Inej sat down, picking up a spoon full of oatmeal.

"Is it poisoned?" she questioned, looking up at him. He let out a strained breath, smiling slightly.

"Now how would poisoning you help me?" She blew on the oatmeal and then spooned it into her mouth. She wolfed down the oatmeal and the strawberries, then she looked at the water in a cup provided, siping from it carefully. The man, W, crouched down before her and picked up the rag out of the bowl of water. He dragged it over a cut on her face and Inej winced, pulling back.

"Don't touch me." He raised his brows.

"I'm trying to clean your wounds."

"Ones you gave me."

"Yes, yes. But now I'm trying to help."

"I'll do it myself." He picked up the tray. Inej scrambled up and tried to reach for it, W jerked it away.

"You let me help, or you get nothing." He left the room and Inej slumped against the wall, her heart racing. What if no one ever came for her? What if she was trapped? She leaned her head back and closed her eyes, a memory coming over her.

(Three years ago, Inej just moved to Ketterdam, forty ninth day of school)

Inej grunted as she was slammed into a wall. Two girls and three boys loomed over her. One of the girls slapped her.

"Come on! Why won't you tell our fortunes, Suli?"

"I don't know how," Inej groaned. One of the boys punched her in the stomach.

"You don't talk to Kirsten." Inej tried to push past them but another boy pushed her back.

"We aren't done with you, freak. How do you get everywhere? Climb all those things?"

"I command you to teach me how to do some of your gymnastic moves," sniffed the other girl, Inej knew who it was, head cheerleader, Juliett. Inej laughed in pain.

"You don't tell me what to do, bitch." The boy that had punched her kicked her legs out from underneath her and slammed her head back against the school wall.

"Shut up." Juliett drew in a sharp breath.

"You little ungracious child! I, Juliett Mough, have offered to let you near me, and you refuse!" Suddenly, two of the boys collapsed to the ground and Kirsten screamed running off. Juliett looked around and the boy that had been hurting her fell over. Juliett was the last to fall. Inej's pain left for a moment as the handsomest boy she'd ever seen grabbed her arm and hauled her up.

"You good?" he asked. She nodded, averting her eyes. His pale skin seemed ghostly and his black hair and mysterious dark eyes offset it, catching the light. He wore a button up shirt and black jeans and shoes, his only accessories was a malicious-looking crow-head cane and black leather gloves.

"Thanks," she breathed. He nodded.

"You didn't deserve that." The black dots at the edges of her vision faded as he smiled slightly.

"Might have. You never know," she shrugged, pushing off the wall.

"That was a pretty brave thing, calling out Juliett as a bitch," the boy pointed out. She knew he couldn't see it through her dark skin, but she was blushing. The boy held out his hand.

"I'm Kaz Brekker." She took his leather-gloved hand in her own, shaking it. What a beautiful name for a beautiful boy.

"Inej Ghafa." He dropped his hand and started to walk away, she followed by his side, not even caring about the five unconscious bodies they left behind. She looked up at the tall boy, his cane clacking one of the only sounds between them for a minute or so. But it was a comfortable silence, something told her she would be around him more than just this time. She asked as politely as possible,

"Aren't you the one most kids call cruel and evil?" He was quiet before murmuring,

"Don't believe everything you hear."

Hey guys! So I'm sorry, it's not very good, and it's quick, but I wanted to get it out. I hope you like it. Please pardon any mistakes and comment, comment, comment! Thanks guys!

Peace,

–MOJ