Chapter One

The loud rumbling thunder echoed through the vast forest atop Hanging Neck Island, bright strikes of lightning stretching across the dark evening sky one after another. The ground at the highest points of the island rumbled and shook with each strike of the storm within the sky above as the first day of the Dark Tournament reached it's end. Yusuke and his team had taken shelter from the storm within their room at the Hotel Kubikukuri, recuperating after their intense matches earlier that day.

Meanwhile, within the yet-to-be-revealed second Arena, Sakyo and several lower-class lizard Demon minions stood within Sakyo's Lab in which his project sat. Held up by mechanical braces within the center of the room stood Sakyo's Portal device, various cables running from it to a few computers set up around the room. Demon minions sat perched at each computer, their eyes locked on the neon screens as their fingers clacked against the keys.

Sakyo stood before the device with a smirk formed across his thin lips, bringing a cigarette to them and taking a long drag from it, the tip glowing red within the dimly lit room. Thunder continued to rumble outside of the stadium, an end to the ongoing storm clearly not to been seen anytime soon. Sakyo's dark eyes remained fixed on his precious device, narrowed into a confident and excited gaze.

'My dream is nearly a reality...,' he thought to himself before a female demon minion at one of the computers broke his concentration with her voice.

"Sir, I think the storm is interfering with the device. There are energy spikes all over the screen. It's like we're detecting another potential opening for the portal, but it's coming in waves," she stated, her eyes reflecting the light of the neon screen before her even as she shifted her focus to her Employer.

Sakyo's eyes narrowed further in response to her information before he moved toward her, his eyes shifting to the screen. As she had said, a signal repeatedly bleeped across the screen, fading in and out seemingly in rhythm with each lightning strike outside the arena. The dark haired male hummed in thought for a moment as he watched the screen before a grin curved his lips, "Well... Maybe it's a sign we should test the device. After all, how will we know that it works if we don't at least test it first?"

The demon females eyes widened slightly, holding a questioning gaze, though she knew better than to question him. After all when it came to the portal device he had a one track mind and was dead set on having his way in the end. "Channel into the signal. Let's see what it can do," he ordered, once more bringing his cigarette to his lips as he waited for the demon to carry out his request.

"Yes sir," the demon replied, her voice holding a hesitant tone before turning her attention to the screen once more. After several clicks upon the keyboard, a soft hum began to echo throughout the room from the device, sparks of blue electricity swirling around the device's round mechanical frame. A dark energy soon formed within it's center, radiating outward and filling the device's frame, the humming growing louder with each passing second. The lightning outside began to intensify as the device's power grew, striking the ground and walls around the arena and setting fire to several bushes and trees within the area.

Each of the Demon minions within the room grew more hesitant and backed away as the device continued to hum and swirl with growing power, sparks of energy beginning to strike randomly around the room. Backing away and hiding in fear, the Demons soon scattered out of the room leaving Sakyo the only one remaining as the energy grew wilder within the room as well as outside the Arena. Despite the intense danger within the room, Sakyo only looked on at his precious device with an excited gaze, anxious to see what the portal would bring forth.

'No...No...'

Small whimpered words broke the silence of a dark room as a brunette female stirred within her bed, her unconscious mind haunted with terrible visions. Fighting to regain consciousness, her brows furrowed and a deep frown formed over her lips. With a loud gasp her dark eyes opened, greeted by the dark ceiling of her room, her chest rising and falling with each heavy breath she took. Slowly sitting upright, she lowered her head to rest within her hands briefly before brushing her slightly damp locks back. A long and heavy sigh escaped her parted lips as her eyes closed, doing her best to calm herself from the nightmare she had just endured.