Chapter Four

"You. Who are you?," the question left the fire demons lips the instant he landed on the ground behind the brunette female, his crimson eyes narrowed into a curious gaze. He could see her frame grow tense at the sound of his voice, her shoulders jerking ever so slightly before she turned to face him. Her dark brown eyes met with his crimson hues, an expression of surprise etched over her feminine features. Awaiting her answer, Hiei stood with his arms folded across his bare chest, looking the human female over in silence. From a distance he had been unable to make out her appearance very well, but standing only a few feet from her now he noticed she was decently attractive. Piercing dark brown orbs, encased by long dark lashes were the first features the fire demon noticed as they met with his own crimson gaze. His eyes lowered to her pouty lips as they parted, an audible gasp leaving them as she saw him.

Jessica felt like her heart had jumped into her throat the instant her eyes met with his, unable to help the gasp that had left her. Her dark eyes widened, staring back at him as she attempted to find her voice. "O..Oh.. Uhm..," she started, a nervous smile curving her lips, "I'm Jessica... It's nice to meet you.."

The fire demons brow perked slightly at her response. "Jessica," he repeated her name with a tone of disinterest, though in actuality he had been curious of what to call her. "And what exactly are you doing here?," he questioned.

A short nervous chuckle escaped her lips, fidgeting slightly with her fingers , "Well.. it's..kind of a long story..." Taking in a sharp breath, she shifted her gaze to one side, feeling as though his piercing red orbs were seeing through to her. She hated withholding the whole truth from him, but she had made a promise to Botan and Koenma. And she wasn't one to break promises she made. "Basically, Koenma thinks that...I might be useful to you guys," she finished, a nervous smile on her lips as her eyes met with his once more.

Hiei's eyes narrowed slightly as she glanced away, though he scoffed slightly at her answer. "You? Useful?," he asked in a sarcastic tone. As the words left his lips, he could see a pained look form within her eyes and instantly he felt a tightness within his chest. His eyes widened slightly at his own reaction, though he was good at keeping a straight face. His body tensed slightly, annoyed with himself already at how he seemed to react to this human girl. And her eyes... they were eyes of someone who had known pain. Emotional and deep rooted pain.

His scoffed words made the brunette's chest ache slightly though she forced a smile, shrugging her shoulders gently, "Yeah...I'm..not very sure about that myself..." Her voice was low and quiet, her eyes shifting to her feet briefly before looking back to him with a small sigh, "I guess you'll have to ask Koenma that one." Standing so near to him, Jessica felt her heart beating faster with each passing second. If she didn't create a distance from him soon, she felt she may very well faint; her breath continuously catching in her chest.

The fire demon could sense the human girls heart beating rapidly. Of course he was used to Demons and Humans reacting in such a way to his presence out of fear. However, this girls reaction was different. He couldn't quite place it, and it annoyed him. Even being near to her, he reacted to her presence just as he had when he was at a distance from her. Though being in such close proximity, his reactions were much stronger. It was a strange feeling he had never received before and he couldn't figure it out.

As the frustration and annoyance continued to build within him, Hiei's muscled frame grow continuously more rigid, watching the female before him. As she shifted her weight and began to side step around him, he snapped from his thoughts and watched her nervously edge her way around him. Looking her up and down, his brow raised slightly in response to her creating distance between them.