Chapter 1: Introduction

“Come on James! Please!” I begged. The way I tugged on his sleeve probably made me seem way younger than I actually was. As I was in the beginning of my fourth year at Hogwarts, I was fourteen years old. James, my oldest brother, was seventeen, and a real pain sometimes. He never let me do anything fun. Not like Albus. Albus, sixteen years old, had inherited our father’s rebelliousness, said mom. He got into trouble more often than anyone I knew of. Just like our father used to, apparently. I couldn’t imagine my dad being a rebel. He was so… serious. That’s where James got it from. Unlike his namesakes, James Potter and Sirius Black, he was strict, controlling and never seemed to have fun anymore. The seriousness of my namesake, Lily Potter, had skipped a generation with our dad, and had ended in James. And then there was me: Lily Luna Potter, one of many redheads currently at Hogwarts. Some professors said they hadn’t seen as many redheads at the school at one time since our parents’ generation. You couldn’t even describe the Weasleys’, they were so different, and yet so alike. Four of them currently went to Hogwarts.

Fred Weasley II and Rose Weasley, those two were incorrigible. I honestly don’t know how aunt Hermione could’ve gotten such an irresponsible kid, but I guess it had something to do with the people she surrounded herself with. Fred was seventeen, and he was a prankster, to say the least. His father, my uncle, George was the owner of Weasleys’ Wizard Wheezes, and was formerly known as one of the biggest jokers Hogwarts had ever seen, along with his late twin, after whom he named his son, Fred. James and Fred had been great friends once, the two of them and later Albus as well had been best friends. But then James got all serious, and didn’t want any part in the pranks. Since then James and Albus had stopped talking whenever possible.

A few years later, Albus and Fred began hanging out with Rose, and since then the trio had been inseparable. They pulled pranks on everyone, especially Roxy, Hugo and me.  We were a trio of our own.

Roxanne, aka Roxy, was Fred’s younger sister. She was badass. Like her brother, she loved pulling pranks on people, and usually she got me and Hugo in on them as well. She was like a sister to me, just like Hugo was like a brother. Surprisingly, he was a pretty calm and hard-working kid. That wasn’t the easiest around people like me and Roxy. God, we were… annoying. And that’s when we were nice. 

“I said no. You’re too young!” James said sternly as he ripped his sleeve out of my grasp.

“But Albus said…”

“Albus said you could go, right? Well, Albus isn’t really…”

“I’m not really… what?” Albus smirked. Ah, crap. I really didn’t need him in this argument.

Roxy had overheard her brother and Albus talking about a secret party they were throwing in the Room of Requirement, so obviously we had confronted them and because they admired our persistence, they agreed to let us go. I didn’t plan on telling James, but I had accidentally spilled the beans when he asked me whether or not I was going to study that night. I wasn’t really good at keeping secrets. Something, my dad said, I had inherited from my mother.

“You are not really responsible. You shouldn’t tell Lily she can come to your party.” James huffed. Ah, there we go again. The I’m-more-responsible-than-you-and-therefore-your-word-is-nothing-against-mine-thing that James always used in an argument. There was seriously never peace between the two of them.

“I am responsible! But I have a life as well!” Albus was dangerously close to shouting.

“Guys! Don’t do this here. People are staring!” I hissed, trying to get them outside. We had been standing right outside the Great Hall, and people were starting to leave after dinner. Although it wasn’t unusual to see the three Potter’s pulling out each others’ hairs, it still wasn’t something I liked to put on display, for everyone to see. But usually that was the only time when Albus and James communicated. Being in two different houses, they hardly saw each other, and they spoke even less. If it weren’t for me, they would never talk to one another.