chapter 2

Ross POV

"Don't just stand there, deary. Come on in."

The bubble of chatter died down as the whole class turned to look at the new arrival.

"Demelza Carne?" Miss Martin asked.

The girl nodded.

"Welcome to our school! These students will be your new classmates from now on, so find a spare desk and I'll get you some catch up work."

Demelza nodded again, her red curls swishing around her shoulders as she walked to the back of the class. She was wearing a wide sleeved white shirt with baggy patterned trousers and suede shoes. She was undeniably stunning, a rare kind of beautiful. Ross caught a whiff of her scent as she passed - grass and firewood. She shrunk down in the desk behind him, trying to avoid the stares of the 25 other students looking her up and down.

Ross thought of ways he could introduce himself. He pretended to scratch his neck with his pen, and subtly dropped it on her desk. Well, he thought it was subtle. The clatter of the Biro attracted a few glares from other people.

He looked around, a fake look of surprise on his face. "Oh sorry, did I just drop that? I'm so dumb," he said, bending down to pick it up.

She got there first, swooping it up with slender white fingers. "Here you go," she said, holding it out to him.

He looked into her eyes. They were a deep green, encircled with dark lashes. She had a faint scattering of freckles along her cheekbones and rosebud lips.

"Cheers," he smilingly took the pen, brushing his hand over her fingers and scanning her face for any sign of a reaction.

"Welcome." She held her gaze and kept her head still, not in the least unsettled as she continued writing. Ross doubted she'd even noticed his touch.

"I'm Ross, by the way."

She looked up from her work, as if she was surprised that he was still talking to her.

"Oh, cool. I'm Demelza."

"Cute accent. Where you from?"

"Cornwall," she said. "I just moved here."

Ross nodded and tried to think of something to say about Cornwall, but it was too late - she was taking notes again.

He felt strange, like something wasn't right. Practically every girl fluttered their eyelashes at him when he walked in the room - he was that guy, the one everyone wanted to impress. But Demelza was different. He didn't seem to have any effect on her whatsoever. Ross didn't like it.

The bell rang and everyone headed to the next period. Demelza was out the door before Ross even had a chance to talk to her.

"So, new girl, huh?" Dwight asked as they made their way across the courtyard. "What do you think?"

Ross thought about his answer. "She's...weird."

"She's hot, that's what she is."

Ross sensed danger. "Do you fancy her?" he asked cautiously.

Dwight looked confused. "What? No man, I just said she was hot. Doesn't mean I fancy her."

He visibly relaxed. Dwight laughed, "Don't worry, I'm not gonna steal your girl."

"She's not my girl. I only just met her."

"Yeah, but you like her. Trust me, you should have seen your face when she sat down. Your jaw literally dropped."

"Thanks for the confidence boost."

"Well, who wouldn't? She's gorgeous."

" I don't think she likes me though. She looked at me like I was just an average guy down the road."

"Probably because she sensed that you've slept with, like, everyone. It's not love at first sight with every girl, you know. Sometimes you've got to work for it."

"I have not slept with everyone."

"Not everyone, just every girl."

"That's not true."

"My point is that you sleep around. Girls don't like that."

"Why do they still want to sleep with me, then?"

"Because people want sex, Ross. And preferably with the captain of the football team, i.e, you."

"How is that my fault? I can't help it if people want to sleep with me."

"It's not. I'm just saying that if you like Demelza, you're going to have to do more than take your shirt off."

Before Ross could answer, Francis came strolling up to them.

"Hey guys, how's the day going?" he said chirpily.

"It's been -" Dwight answered.

"Great because mine just got a whole lot better. Guess who I asked out in English just now?"

Ross rolled his eyes. "I dunno Francis, who did you just ask out in English? Not Elizabeth by any chance?"

"Oh my god, how did you know?"

Maybe because you've been gushing about her for the last ten years. "Just a lucky guess."

"Anyway, guess what? She said yes!"

Ross didn't have the heart to feel happy for him. He found it hard to feel happy for anyone, period.

Dwight played along. "That's great Francis, I'm so happy that you guys are giving it a go."

"Me too, Dwighty, me too. Anyway must dash, I'm late to Sociology," he said, his blonde curls bobbing up and down as he ran across the AstroTurf.

"Someone's about to get their heart smashed up," Dwight said, looking thoughtfully into the distance.

"Tell me about it. That kid is so blind," Ross replied as he continued walking to second period.

Sounds of laughter approached them as they walked along the corridor. Elizabeth and her friends Annie, Gemma, Jassmine and Emily were strutting along the plastic floor, a mass of fake nails, flawless makeup and expensive perfume. Ross clenched his jaw.

"...bless, he actually thinks I want to date him? Like, please, I'd rather die."

"Oh my god, imagine his face when he finds out!"

They cackled loudly, a sickly sweet piercing noise that made Ross want to flush his head down the loo. Elizabeth's face was smug and conceited, cherishing every moment of undivided attention. Why had he dated her again?

"Just keep walking," Dwight said through his teeth, putting himself between Ross and the girls.

Everything was a blur until the bell went for lunch. Ross pushed through the crowd to get into the canteen to look for Demelza. He saw her sitting at a table a few rows away, and smiled to himself. He could finally talk to her.

He made his way over, but stopped when he saw that someone had got there first. George slid into the seat next to her, a sly grin on his face.

***

uh oh..

hope you liked this chapter! please leave a comment and vote if you enjoyed :) x