chapter 10

Caroline POV

Caroline felt much more nervous than she expected to. Appearing on Chanel and Dior posters apparently did not give you a lifetime supply of confidence when it came to starting new schools.

She gave one last look at her reflection and picked up her bag. She had tried to be casual with a loose white shirt and jeans, but she couldn't help feeling self conscious. Since she'd moved to this seaside town and left her parents in London, it was hard not to feel utterly alone. The one good thing was that no one had noticed her. Yet.

At 8:00 she strode out on to the street and walked towards the school. Heart beating fast, she arrived at the school gates and looked around. Demelza was right - it was pretty small. But small schools are better, right? Feeling more confident, she went inside and stood in front of the reception desk. Eventually, a young, smiling brunette saw her.

"Can I help you?"

"Yes...I'm new here so I was wondering if I could get a timetable. My name's Caroline Penvenen."

The woman tapped a few keys on her computer but stopped abruptly and stared at her, looking shocked. "You mean...as in... you're the Caroline Penvenen? Aren't you a model?"

Caroline had feared this from the very moment she'd stepped into the building. She wished she'd signed up with a fake ID.

"Caroline?" A familiar voice broke her internal dilemma. "Is that you?"

Demelza was standing behind her, smiling broadly. "You came!" she exclaimed, pulling her into a hug.

"Demelza! Hi!" Caroline breathed, trying not to sound strangled as the red-haired girl squeezed her. "God, I am so glad to see you."

"Me too, me too. I had no idea you were joining so soon! Have you got a timetable and everything?"

Caroline suddenly remembered why she was at reception in the first place and turned back to the receptionist, who was gawking at them speechlessly. She took her timetable and they made their way to the first lesson - or period, as they called it here.

The door to History opened and she was greeted by the distinctive teenage buzz of gossip and chatter. It slowly died down as they all spun round to inspect the new arrival. Whispers replaced the loud, open talking as she felt everyone's eyes dig into her. People were elbowing each other and speaking in hushed voices as someone whistled and another said, "Who's the hottie?"

"Don't worry, I was new a few weeks ago," Demelza whispered beside her. "They did it to me too. Not the hottie thing, though."

Trying to look everywhere except at her new classmates, she took a seat behind Demelza and carefully got her things out. The teacher settled everyone down and began the lesson.

"As you can all see we have a new student in this class. I trust you will show her around and be respectful ambassadors for the school. And now, on with the lesson - does anyone know why Henry VIII was..."

Caroline tried to listen but she was so aware of everyone staring at her. A boy sitting in the row across from her planted a note on her desk.

Hey gorgeous, I'm free tonight. Come over?

She scowled at him, scrunched up the note and stamped it with the bottom of her shoe. Seriously? He could have at least thought of a good pick-up line. 'Come over?' Had he ever even talked to girl before?

The bell finally went, and she sat through the next two lessons in a dull daze. She was the first to her feet when the English teacher dismissed them for lunch. But she had yet to discover the delights of the school canteen. If she had to write a defintion for 'mayhem', the cafeteria was just it. She couldn't walk in a straight line because there were so many people jostling and elbowing her from either side. Had these people never eaten before?