chapter 11

Dwight POV

Caroline was dressed casually in grey jeans and a baggy, black jumper which emphasised her pearly white skin and the redness of her lips. Thick locks of blonde hair fell around her shoulders and cascaded down her back, framing her heart shaped face and angular cheekbones. He had never seen anyone more beautiful. Or less ill, as a matter of fact.

"Are you going to come inside? You can't be a doctor standing out there in the rain all evening."

Dwight shook himself back to the present and stepped inside. "Er, yes, sorry, I, er..." he trailed off, embarrassed. "So, um, what can I do for you?"

"I have a really sore throat," she rasped. "I've tried everything but it still hurts."

"When did it start hurting?"

"Just before I called. It was really, er...sudden."

Dwight hung his jacket on the door and rolled his sleeves up. He felt shabby compared to her, almost inadequate. It was as if she breathed authority, instantly making other people feel inferior.

The house was decorated simply but with a designer's taste. The pastel coloured walls and well furnished wooden stairs made it rustic and modern at the same time. Caroline lead him through a pair of wide double doors and into a full sized kitchen, with shiny black counter tops and silver handles on the drawers. A fan spun silently on the ceiling, blowing cold, refreshing air onto his face.

"Come through," Caroline said, ushering him past the door. "You'll have to excuse the mess," she went on, waving her hand in the general direction of the kitchen in a dismissive gesture. "I've been so lazy with the housework recently."

"What mess?" Dwight replied, gazing around the room in wonder. "This place is spotless."

She turned around and faced him, looking expectant.

Dwight stared back and then suddenly remembered. "Oh, yeah, your throat." He opened his case and took out a tiny silver tool with a small mirror at the end. "Let's have a look then."

Caroline parted her lips about once centimetre.

"Wider."

"But it hurts when I open my mouth."

"And it will carry on like that unless you let me see what's wrong with your throat."

Grudgingly, she opened her mouth. Laying a hand at the edge of her cheek, Dwight tilted her head gently upwards so he could see the base of her throat. Her skin was hot, as if she'd been lying on a radiator. "Seems like you have a temperature," he observed. "Any idea when it started?"

Caroline cleared her throat. "I, um...I can't remember. Probably just now - it's quite hot in here."

Dwight laughed under his breath.

"What?"

"Nothing."

"Why are you laughing?"

"Look, I need to go. I have other people to see who are actually ill, so if you'll excuse me..." He packed away his equipment and made for the door. "Good acting, by the way. I almost believed you for a second."

He tried to walk forward but Caroline barred his way and stood in front of him.

"Caroline, please."

"Wait. My dog, Horace, he's been limping for weeks."

Dwight rolled his eyes. "Goodbye." He stepped through the porch but she didn't give up.