Chapter 7

I order our subs not long later and smirk to myself as Sam reaches for his pocket, only to realise that his wallet is missing. His cheeks redden and he wipes his palms on *my* sweatpants anxiously, although I pretend not to notice. I wonder how much he notices about me. I scoff internally at the notion that he would pay any particular attention to me or my habits and hand over a twenty from my wallet.

I accept the change quietly and slip it into my pocket, handing Sam his sandwich. His eyes are on the floor, his cheeks still tinged with pink but he smiles all the same.

"Sorry." He mumbles and I laugh, digging his wallet out of my back pocket and throwing it to him.

He catches it swiftly with one hand, which is actually very impressive for Sam, and his eyes widen in betrayal.

"Okay, this is getting out of hand." He says finally, snapping his mouth shut and glaring at me.

"Don't blame me, I'm only following orders." I say, holding up a hand in surrender and Sam looks momentarily baffled.

"Orders from who?"

"That would be telling." I say evasively, deciding to start on my sandwich as we walk. I feel less inclined to give up half to Sam, as I had forgotten to eat breakfast myself, but I know it would be a pointless feat to argue with a hungry Sam.

"Seriously, Elias, who?" He asks, seemingly forgotten about his own sandwich which is a miracle in itself.

"It's none of your business." I say, taking another bite and Sam sighs, exasperated. He watches me eat and suddenly realises the presence of his own lunch, eagerly digging in. He eats like a savage, mushing bites into his mouth and I stare at him, disgusted.

"What're you doing?" I ask incredulously and he attempts to answer, which I grimace at.

He swallows and tries again.

"You're nearly half done!" He says pointedly and my face morphs into one of only more confusion.

"So? I always leave you half anyway, cause you're a fat ass." I say, mumbling the last part and savouring my last bite. Sam looks ever so slightly guilty and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Tell me." I demand and Sam half smiles, a sheepish expression overcoming his face as we enter a little park near our dorms.

"The fillings you get are always so good and different and I never want to miss out." Sam says, shrugging his shoulders helplessly and my jaw drops.

"Are you kidding me?! I've been left hungry by all of these lunches because you're too stubborn to try something new?! No way, I'm keeping my sandwiches from now on." I decide, taking another huge bite from my own lunch.

Sam watches me as though he's been horribly betrayed.

"No! You can't! Eli! You can't just cut me off, they're all so delicious!" He cries and I shake my head stubbornly.

"Consider yourself cut off." I utter, taking another bite.

"No! Elias, please. You gotta help me out." He pleads and I sigh heavily.

"I can't believe him, all this time. Lies." I mutter dramatically, speaking into my sandwich as if it is now my only friend.

Sam whines beside me but I ignore his protests, continuing my sandwich until there's only a bitesize chunk left. Sam gazes at me wistfully and I sigh, glancing at his pathetic, longing stare. I move my hand towards him and his face lights up.

He reaches for it but before he can grab it, it's in my mouth and I'm grinning like an idiot.

"Delicious." I garble and Sam looks at me, horror-stricken.