Chapter 22

The next few days are awkward and I find the entire flat far too stuffy, so I decide to give us some space. I slump back against the park bench, resting my head in my hands as I text Robin and Ash idly. They both reply sporadically as both are in the middle of lectures, but they provide a nice distraction nevertheless.

I sigh heavily, knowing that Sam has a good reason to be angry at me. I don't try hard enough with his friends, it's true and it must be irritating for him. He's always sticking up for me when they get the wrong impression, but I don't care as much as he does when it comes to other people's opinions.

Other people don't know me like Sam does and nobody tries to either. Or perhaps I'm not letting them? I shift uncomfortably, glancing at the time on my phone.

Sam should be out by now, he said he'd be going out for lunch with Elliot and it's now past two in the afternoon. I heave a sigh and get up, walking back towards our flat before pausing for a second. Sam's characteristically curly hair is easy for me to recognise. He's walking hand in hand with Elliot, laughing jubilantly but what really crushes me is that they're both holding Subway sandwiches.

It's petty really, but to me it seems so significant.

He's found someone to replace me, he's found someone to take him on real lunch dates and that really hurts. I turn immediately, attempting to refrain from running as I stride towards the park exit. I tug on my hair viciously, internally kicking myself for missing my opportunity.

"Elias!"

I can hear Sam's voice calling and I pause momentarily, wondering if I should pretend not to hear him before ultimately deciding against it. That would surely only make things worse.

I turn and search for his voice, finding it quickly. He's smiling very tentatively, not having spoken to me since yesterday and I can understand why.

They walk over quickly, their hands no longer linked as I shift my weight anxiously.

"Hey, what are you doing here?" He asks and I shrug.

"I was walking, chatting to Robin and Ash." I mumble, holding up my phone and glancing at Elliot.

"Nice to see you again, Eli." I add, and he nods.

"Likewise."

I clear my throat and rub my arm agitatedly.

"I'd like to apologise for how I behaved the other day, it wasn't polite and I'm afraid I gave the wrong impression." I admit, wincing at how overly formal I sound as Elliot's eyes widen slightly at my apology.

"Oh, I didn't..I thought you were alright, I mean we only met for a minute." He admits and I nod, biting my lip and trying not to cringe. I feel so utterly embarrassed and all I want is to escape. My eyes dart around, my fingers twitching.

"Okay, that's great. I'm going to leave you two to it, have a great afternoon." I utter, not able to make eye contact anymore as I back away, waving hopefully somewhat enthusiastically.

"Your roommate is really weird." I hear Elliot mutter and my heart clenches at the sound. Not because of what he said, but because Sam says nothing in response. My legs work harder, my calves burning at how fast I'm walking because I can't bear to be anywhere near them right now.

I groan audibly, wondering when my life had plummeted so drastically. I make my way home sadly, reminiscing all the times that I had been excited to return to the flat we share. I unlock the door, feeling my phone vibrate against my leg. I pull it out and answer it, glad to see Robin's contact on the screen.

"Hey." I answer glumly.

"Hey, you don't sound like a happy chappy." She comments and I huff.

"I'm sorry, things haven't been great recently." I admit and she sighs.