Chapter 25

Four days after my appointment I get a call, the screen alerting me that it's the doctors clinic calling.

"Hello?" I answer hesitantly, greeted not with the voice of a receptionist but of my doctor himself.

"Hello Elias, we've gotten your blood work back." He tells me and I fidget with my shirt.

"Yes?" I ask, practically begging him to continue.

"Well, the results are a little surprising. I'd quite like you to come back in so we can run a few more tests. May I ask, is the pain you're feeling any worse?" He asks, his clinical tone worrying me further.

"It comes and goes, I can't really give you a definitive answer." I respond slowly as Sam quietly enters my room. He glances at my phone and raises an eyebrow but I shake my head.

"Alright, when can you come back into the clinic?" He asks and I hum.

"Friday evening?" I suggest and Dr Allan agrees.

"Just one more thing, is this something I should be concerned about?" I ask as quietly as possible, but my vain attempt to keep this to myself is ruined when Sam whips his head round to face me.

"No, no, just some minor peculiarities." Dr Allan assures, although I find myself not reassured in the slightest.

"Okay, thank you Dr Allan." I mumble, hanging up swiftly and attempting to escape my room. I ultimately fail. Miserably.

The back of my shirt is viciously tugged on, my voice squealing out like a dying pig as I effectively choke on the collar. I stumble back onto my bed, flopping down as I exhale in resignation. Sam stands over me with crossed arms, his face pinched in concern.

"Everything's fine!" I exclaim. Sam doesn't look convinced.

"Everything's not fine, Elias!" He argues, appearing almost fearful and I roll my eyes.

"You're overreacting." I mutter, crossing my arms whilst Sam shifts his hands to his hips.

"Am I?" He demands and I bite my lip to prevent myself from laughing.

"Yes, he just wants to run some more tests." I explain, although he doesn't look any more reassured.

"That means somethings wrong!" He protests. I take a deep breath, nudging myself up so that I can grip one of his hands, now hanging limply by his side.

"I'm fine, Sam. The doctor said it was nothing to worry about." I insist, giving his palm a quick squeeze. His grip tightens, clutching my hand as he exhales deeply.

"Everything better be fine. You better be fine." He mutters, his eyes cast downwards and not daring to meet mine.

I dip my head, forcing him to look at me.

"Don't worry your pretty little head. I'm not worth it." I mumble and Sam looks ready to argue but I don't let him.

"Come on, let's do something else. Play Mario kart with me?" I ask and I can tell that I've said the right thing. His concern is broken, his expression suddenly tempted by my offer.

"Alright, but we're playing all my favourite tracks." He demands adamantly and I scoff.

"I told you before, I don't cheat! I'm just good at the game!" I exclaim but Sam shakes his head, trailing to the living room whilst I'm forced to follow as my hand is still trapped within his grasp.

"I don't believe you for a second." He states.

"There's just no trust in this relationship." I grumble half-heartedly. Sam turns around and shoots me a cheeky wink, a sign that he knows I'm joking.