Chapter 11

Sally and Jack are singing their final duet and I smile to myself, glancing down at Sam's softened features, relaxed and fluttering as his mind spirals into unconscious hallucinations. His jaw is slack, his mouth closed as he breathes softly through his nose. He looks exhausted, his head tilted and nestled against my neck whilst his feet are tucked up on the sofa next to him.

I close the laptop gently and glance at the time, glad that it hasn't passed midnight yet. Christmas eve is the only night I have a strict deadline for bed.

I turn my body slowly, supporting Sam's head as I shift out from beneath him. I'm not heartless enough to leave him on the sofa, not after having experienced the horror so many times, so I scoop him up as carefully as possible and slowly make my way to my room.

Everything is dark, bar the lights on the tree which seem to wink at me in the otherwise gloomy shadows of night. I navigate my room expertly and deposit Sam onto my bed, pulling the covers over him and fussing until I feel satisfied.

I glance back towards the sofa waiting for me and grimace in discontent. I don't want to wake up on Christmas morning with a sore neck and the back of an eighty year old. I dither a little longer, debating whether to suck it up or seek an alternative option.

Sam's hand encases mine suddenly and I look down sharply, not expecting his eyes to be open.

He doesn't say anything, but he tugs my hand lightly before shuffling over to the other side of my bed. I take this as an open invitation and happily accept, this being a far more comfortable alternative.

I pull off my shirt, remove my glasses and climb in, my eyes closing far easier than I expected and after what seems like only a second, they're opening again.

Only this time, sunshine is peeking through my curtains and a warm body is tucked beside me, even and soft breaths kissing the side of my neck. I look down at my best friend for an indescribable amount of time, processing the events of the night before. It all seems like a dream.

I eventually conclude that, even if this is a dream, I am enjoying it far too much to try and wake up just yet.

My eyes drift shut of their own accord and when I feel my conscious state of mind slowly returning to me the second time, I feel Sam's body shuffling around. Instead of drawing away, he pulls closer, his eyelashes fluttering against my collar bones. In my sleep-filled state, I don't think, merely do. I clumsily bring my hand up and gently tuck Sam's face more comfortably against my neck before patting it and letting my hand fall to my chest.

My fingers are gently fiddled with and I grumble quietly, interlocking my fingers with his just in order to stop him. He stays perfectly still after that and I smile contentedly.

The third time I am awoken, it's a little less gently.

I feel the air in my lungs escape me as a large weight lands on my chest and I groan. My eyes shoot open, looking around hazily and easily identifying the lump on my chest as Sam.

He's dressed in yet another one of my sweatshirts, his second favourite one of mine, a broad grin on his face.

"Good morning, Elias." He chirps and I glare at him, pinching his leg.

"Ow! I know you're not a morning person but jeez, I thought I'd be an exception." He says, mock insult colouring his tone and I roll my eyes.

"You are the only exception. Believe me, if you were anyone else I'd have eviscerated you by now." I mumble, nuzzling my face into my pillow. Sam laughs.

"Only you, 'lias, uses words like eviscerated, and at 10am too!" He exclaims and I groan even louder at the time.

"Come 'ere and be quiet." I murmur, eyes still closed as I tug him down and keep him there, content to slip back into sleep. Sam is silent and I smile victoriously.