Chapter 9

Chapter 9

I feel like I cannot move or breathe. We are all sitting, waiting for the pack doctor to arrive with information. I have been staring at the wall for hours, not one on us moving, afraid that everything will come tumbling down around us. I feel Conner put a hand on my leg and I only just realised that my whole body was shaking in fear that my little girl won’t make it.

“She is going to be fine Clare.” Conner whispers but I can hear the doubt in his voice. There was so much blood surrounding her. I promised myself that I would never let Grace bleed, but I failed her as a mother.

“Conner’s right Clare, she is going to be fine.” My eye sight focuses on Ivy who is holding a scared and frightened Liam in her arms. I look at Liam who is looking at me with tears running down his face. I know it wasn’t his fault but there is some part of me that blames him for what happened.

Ivy and I were in the kitchen when we heard Liam scream. We both rushed over and we both froze and the sight before us. I fell to my knees and started screaming at Grace who was lying so still on the ground. Liam was crying as I covered my mouth the stop myself from being sick and the sight and smell of blood pooling around Grace’s head. I felt frozen, unable to move or feel. I didn’t even notice that Conner and Alpha Felix were in the room. Everything around me was a haze. I could hear people shouting but my mind switched off.

It wasn’t until someone picked Grace up ever so carefully that I broke down. I screamed for them to give me my child back but someone was holding me back. I tried to fight them but I was too weak. The smell of metallic blood filled the room making me feel sick. I turned into the person chest and sobbed against the hard planes of muscle. I felt tingles run up my spine as the person stroked my back trying to calm me down. The person tried to pull away but I clung to them for my life.

“Clare we have to go and make sure she is alright.” I look up to see Conner looking down at me with tears in his eyes. He reaches up a hand and wipes away the tears that are running down my face before wiping his own. I nod my head still not letting go.

We walk up to the pack doctors where Ivy and Felix are trying to calm down a hysterical Liam. Once Liam was calmed down we were all silent. 

“Liam what happened?” Felix asked his son which caused more tears to run down his small face.

“It was an accident Dad I didn’t know she was behind me.” He sniffles before rubbing his eyes.

“What exactly happened Liam, it is important.” Liam said and Ivy growled at him for talking to Liam with the tone of a Beta.

“I promise it was an accident Uncle Conner. We were both playing. I was running up the stairs, I didn’t know she was that close behind me. I turned around and accidently knocked her. I tried to grab her but she fell. I didn’t mean it.” Sobbing filled the room but it wasn’t Liam crying. It took me a minute to realise it was me.

“ I am sorry Aunty Clare it was an accident.” I cover my mouth trying to contain my sobs but it is no use. My body is shaking and I can feel my wolf trying to comfort me but failing. I feel Conner place a hand on my knee and I welcome his touch. I lean my head on his shoulder praying that my baby girl is alright.