Chapter 1

HI! So this chapter will begin with the exact words before the rebel attack started, so yeah. The picture above will always be the dress that America will be wearing or the song that represents that chapters, or both, so yeah.

America's POV.

"I'll be glad when you're gone." 

After he spat out those last words, his smile returned and he faced Kriss again. I stared into my lap for a minute, slowing my breathing and putting on a brave face.

When I brought my eyes up again, I didn't dare look directly at anyone. I didn't think I could honor Maxon's last wish if I did. Instead, I focused on the walls of the room. I focused on the perfect wallpaper, the decorations, anything but a person.

At the end of breakfast, Maxon stood up and said, "Okay everyone, I will be announcing my wife in thirty minutes, so please get ready in that time."

Chairs started squeaking as people finished and bowed to the King, Queen, and Maxon. I left to go upstairs quickly, not wanting to talk to anyone. When I entered my room, I found four maids, I recognized the new one instantly. 

"Marlee!" I ran to hug her, "What are you doing here? If the King finds you, you could get killed."

"Well, Maxon let me be your maid, he said to hide whenever someone, but you, came in." She explained pulling away.

"Oh, he's so sweet. Anyways, I should get ready." I said.

"Oh yes, we made a new dress for you, so you can really show your people how bright you shine." Mary winked at me and I got the hint.

"Thanks, but, I don't think that I'm going to win," every maid shot me a quizzical glance, except Lucy, she smiled sadly, "I'll explain later."

They shrugged but didn't argue. The dress was truly beautiful, it was light blue, off the shoulders and tea length. (picture above). I got into beautiful silver heels. My hair was put in an updo by my maids for the last time. I walked out and into the room where the Report was filmed for the last time. 

I was given instructions for what to do, and I followed them. Several minutes later, I was standing off to the side of the podium, Kriss on the other side. Maxon walked up to the podium.

Maxon's POV

"Ladies and Gentlemen of Illéa, I am about to choose my wife. I hope you will support my decision and love her as much as I love her." I said, "The two final contestants are Lady America and Lady Kriss."

America walked up to the podium, and she looked beautiful, her hair was up in beautiful updo and her dress, simple, yes, but it was a showstopper. I felt a sudden urge to pick her, but I was determined, I couldn't let choose her, she cheated on me. Kriss came up next, and she looked great, her hair was in a half-up-half-down thing, and her dress, not as great as America's but still wonderful, it was a long, strapless blush pink dress.

"Each of these ladies has shown me so much, they have shown me how amazing, and how cruel this world is, they have shown me what love is, but only one has stolen my heart," I faced Kriss, got down on one knee, and said, "Kriss, you have stolen my heart, and for that, I will always be thankful. Will you marry me?" Of course, I was lying, America had, but apparently, I hadn't stolen her heart.

Kriss, too excited to speak, only nodded, then we kissed. America had broken down, crying and Celeste had come to her rescue, her family wasn't supposed to be here for another hour. Kriss ran to America while I talked to my parents. Ten minutes later, the cameras had gone and America was still on the floor, explaining to Celeste what happened, Kriss just there with her, rubbing her back. When she was finished, Celeste told America something in her ear and America got up and walked out of the door with Celeste and Kriss came over to me.

"She's going to her room and waiting for her family, so they can go." She said, resting her head on my shoulder.

"I'll talk to her before she leaves, right now, I have the press to deal with," I told her. Kriss nodded and we left the room. I kissed her forehead and walked to my study while Kriss went to her room. 

So! This is my first chapter, I hope you like it. It wasn't that long, but it got the story going. Also, I hate when fanfics like this show Kriss to be a meanie beanie, cuz she's actually really nice, except sometimes, so in mine, I made Kriss nice. Also, I DID NOT write the selection, so NO, it is owned by Keira Cass (amazing author). K byeeeeeee