Chapter 3

Read author's note at the end please! Thanks.

The weather in Carolina was cold. I was not up to do anything but watch movies while eating ice cream or popcorn. I was laying around my house for more than a month straight before Celeste started to get bored and wanted to do something. Who could blame her? The new year had already passed a month ago, it was February ninth, and I hadn't left the house once.

"Come on, let's do something, America, Marlee and Carter have already found a house, we haven't LEFT the house since we got back," Celeste complained as an animated movie flashed across the screen in front of me.

"If we go out there, we will be bombarded with paparazzi, if you want to do that, then be my guest," I told her.

Before Celeste could answer, there was a knock on the door. May got it, she was there for a few seconds, then she yelled, "Ames! It's for you!"

I sighed before getting up and walking to the door when I saw who it was, my heart stopped.

"Hi," said Aspen, with the faintest trace of a smile. Smartly, May left.

Aspen was about to say something when I asked, "What are you doing here?"

"I've got a week off, and I decided to come back home. Anyways, in a year or two, I'll probably be done serving and then, we can get married after." He said, smiling wide.

I stared at him in disbelief, then yelled, "You think I still want to be with you? You know, you're the reason that this happened! Maxon had already proposed the other night, if you had stayed away like I told you to if you had given it up, I wouldn't be here, I'd be Maxon's fiancé. But, you know what? I not, because of you. In fact, you were the reason that it took so long, every time I started falling for Maxon, you could see and you tried to get me to think that he was a bad, shallow idiot. every time, until I stopped listening to you and listening to my heart. And frankly, you played me, you tried to make me fall for you even after I told you that I was in love with Maxon. This is your fault, but not all of your fault, I'm at fault too, for trusting you."

I slammed the door in his shocked face. When I turned around, my family and Celeste were all staring at me.

Celeste smiled and said, "Finally, you put him in his place."

"Finally?" I asked.

May piped up, "Yeah, finally, you should have pushed him away when you realized that you wanted Maxon, but nooo, and now the love of your life is with someone else."

I looked at everyone and they were all nodding, even Kenna.

"Okay, enough of that, we need to talk about the Angeles house, America, what do you want to do with it?" Mom said, changing the subject.

"Nothing, James, and Kenna can have it if they want, but I don't want to be any closer to Maxon and Kris than I already am." I spat out viciously.

Celeste, in usual Celeste fashion, rolled her eyes and said, "Don't be like that America, you don't really mean it."

"Oh yes, I do," I told her, in the sassiest voice possible.

"Okay, America, please, would you get off your butt, and out of the house, I need you to get some food from the store. I know you don't want to, but you need to leave the house sometime soon, and this is the perfect chance." Mom told me.

No matter how much I protested and complained, Thirty minutes later, I was at the store, with Celeste, complaining. Of course, that didn't mean Celeste was going to stop being, well, Celeste. Thankfully, I survived, barely. Of course, I did not survive the letter that had come in the mail.

"Ames! can I be your plus one! Please! Please! Please!" May jumped up and down, excitement flowing through her, making her glow. We had gotten an invitation, one for me and one for Celeste, to the royal engagement ball for Maxon and Kris. It was on February 26, my birthday, I didn't know if it was planned or if it was a coincidence, but if it was planned to be on my birthday, it was a truly cruel plan.

"Let me make one thing very clear, I am not going to this ball." And yet, I went.

Celeste's plus one was no one, Kenna and mom both weren't leaving, so Celeste couldn't take anyone and my plus one was May, obviously.

As we arrived at the palace, I was dreading it, and it was for good reason, I was not ready for the next week. The ball would be happening the next day, then the Selection ladies and their plus ones would be staying at the palace and catching up with everyone for the next week.

When I looked at Maxon and Kris welcoming everyone, I could tell that it was going to be a bad week.

Okay! I know It's been forever since I've updated. And I probably should be ducking for cover to protect myself from angry fangirls who want me to update. And this is a short chapter. Sorry, I've been super busy with school and family. But I swear I'll start trying to update more frequently but don't count on it tho. I will also be starting a new book soon full of oneshots for all my fandoms and ships so yeah. K byeeee, luv ya.