Part Four

"Where's Ghana?"

"Africa."

"Where's Africa?" I pointed down. Lucy giggled, "It's not in the floor, Daddy."

I smiled as I reached over to tickle her,

"I meant south, Silly Girl." She squealed when my fingers made contact. I pulled back and handed her a pair of shoes, "Put them in the suitcase like I showed you."

It had become somewhat of a tradition to have Lucy help me pack whenever I was headed somewhere. Kind of our last hurrah to spend some quality time together before she was without my guidance. I knew she also liked the one-on-one time. Plus, she was really good at packing, a hidden skill I didn't realize she possessed.

She tucked my tennis shoes in, turning back to look at me,

"Is Africa fun?"

I nodded, shrugging my shoulders gently,

"Lots of fun."

"Can I go?"
I came out of the closet with a couple more shirts. I handed them to her, waiting until she had packed them expertly in the suitcase. I picked her up and swung her up as I sat, landing her on my lap.

I lifted my phone up and pulled up a few websites with pictures of Ghana. I handed her the phone,

"Ghana is on the west side of Africa." I pointed to the tiny country, "Right there."

She bit on her lip while she studied the web pages closely, the way she usually did when she was really trying to pay attention to something. I liked watching her when she was learning. It was like I could actually see the gears turning in her head.

She looked up at me, releasing her bottom lip from between her teeth,

"Can I go, Daddy?" She whispered.

I wanted to bring her. I knew she might help. But to be honest, getting Emily and I ready for this trip had been a feat in itself. Adding two kids under the age of ten to it would've been a nightmare. Not to mention if this little trip didn't go well, it would be more traumatic for them.

I lifted my hand to her cheek,

"This is just a trip for Mumma and Daddy this time."

She nodded,

"Ok."

I knew she wouldn't fight me on that. Lucy, as much as I hated it, was still quietly affected by the almost break up of her family a few years ago. Any time Em and I spent together alone only helped ease her fears that one day it might happen again.

I lifted my lips to her forehead and pressed a kiss to her skin. I knew the risk I was taking by pushing forward with Kesse. Lucy and Noah could be negatively affected and I would regret any pain I caused them until the day I died. But I really thought this would only strengthen our bond as a family.

She finished reading the web page I'd pulled up, her blue eyes meeting mine. She swallowed gently,

"Daddy, it says there are lots of orphanages there."

I nodded. She was nine and I didn't want her to be introduced to the crappy parts of the world we lived in just yet. I smiled,

"Don't be sad, My Love."

Emily walked into the room just then with a load of laundry she'd just finished. A happy smile stretched across her features when she saw Lucy on my lap. She walked over, moving the laundry basket to her right hip as she leaned down to press a kiss to my mouth,