Part Five

When my alarm went off the next morning the sun was just peeking through the curtains of our hotel room. I ran a hand over my face and took a deep breath before I reached over to draw Em closer to me. However, once again, I was met with an empty bed. I sat up, glancing around the room. I saw that the door outside was open again just like it had been last night. I disentangled myself from the covers, shaking off the feeling of déjà vu and walked over to pull the curtains back.

The patio was empty, save the chairs and table that were always out there. Emily was nowhere to be found. I turned around, my eyes darting around the room. Her suitcase was still there, overflowing with clothing she hadn't repacked yet for our journey home in a few hours.

Had she just gone to check us out? Maybe to get some food. My eyes fell on her side of the bed, a note sitting on her nightstand, folded into a triangle. I picked it up and frantically read the words.

Couldn't let you do this. I'm at the orphanage. Join me when you wake up. I love you.

My eyes widened as I read and then re-read the words. She'd gone to see Kesse again? Why? We'd agreed this was over. We had plane tickets. I quickly grabbed the same clothes I'd worn yesterday and threw them on, grabbing my phone and wallet as I ran to the front desk and asked them for a Jeep.

The girl at the front desk smiled warmly,

"It's already outside for you, Sir. Your wife said you'd need it when you woke up."

I didn't stick around to ask any questions, sprinting out to the awaiting Jeep. I hopped in the front seat and held on for the rough ride to the orphanage.

My mind raced the entire way there. She'd gone without me. I wasn't angry, I was terrified. The orphanage wasn't in the safest part of the country. Not that I could have done anything had something happened, but I sure didn't want her out there alone. What was she doing? She'd been so hurt when Kesse had rejected her. I didn't understand this.

I was a ball of nerves by the time we pulled up to the orphanage. There were the normal pockets of kids out running around with their teachers, but I couldn't see Kesse or Em anywhere. The terror in the pit of my stomach grew tenfold. Where was she? I was deep in a self-induced panic when I heard Claudia behind me,

"Bout time you got here." She drawled in her usual accent.

I turned to look at her,

"Is Emily here?"

She looked bored as she walked past me, nodding as she gestured to one of the buildings on the grounds,

"She's been here for hours, Mr. Styles."

My distress eased just a bit. But I knew I wouldn't fully relax until I saw Emily,

"What has she been doing?" I asked as I stumbled along behind Claudia.

"She's been bonding. And spending time with Kesse...and the other kids. She's been nothing short of miraculous if you want my honest opinion."

I stood in the doorway of the building, my eyes searching all of the faces of the people inside. None of them belonged to Emily or Kesse. I turned to Claudia, my frustrations at an all time high,

"She's not in here."

Claudia nodded,

"Kesse wanted to show her his bedroom. Or his bunk, should I say. His things. She took him on a walk to the river." My eyes widened, causing Claudia to laugh, "She was with some of our guides." She nodded behind me, "Ah...here they are now."