nine

NINE:

Joseph Torres was always Mia's definition of perfection

The 30 year old doctor held the title in the Torres Family of the most successful, even when Mia graduated nursing school.

It crushed her heart to watch everyone praise her brother while she tried just as hard to be like him.

That's the reason the two siblings haven't communicated in over two years.

Mia couldn't take watching her family worship the ground Joseph walked on, and he didn't even realize how much it effected her.

The two were best friends growing up, wanting to do everything together. Mia would tell Joseph everything from grades she's gotten on her tests to heartbreaks she experienced in high school.

He was protective of her as well. Joseph never wanted to see his best friend hurt and same goes for Mia.

So when Callie Torres' father called Joseph in a panic, he hopped on the first plane he could book to the rainy city.

He can't say he didn't know Ben would hurt her, but Joseph had no idea it would be this bad.

How could someone see a person hurting someone they loved?

"We have a lot to catch up on, don't we, sis?" The brother said to his sister, who looked at him with happiness in her eyes.

"Joey." Mia mumbled, while he stood up slowly and wrapped Mia in his arms as she sobbed softly.

She didn't know how much she needed her brother in her life until this moment.

Joseph smiled softly, "Hey Mimi, long time no see."

"You've grown since the last time I've seen you!" The older sister says, looking her little brother up and down.

He chuckled, nodding his head in her direction. "So have you. Your hair really suits you, sis. Did you just cut it?"

Mia runs a hair through her hair, nodding softly as she shrugs her shoulders. "Yeah, when I moved up here I did."

"I think we should talk privately, M," Joseph looks up at Mia who bites her lip, looking at the ground, "about Ben."

"Let me change into my streets and I'll take you out to lunch." Mia suggested, watching as her brother nodded his head in response.