Chapter 3: Something's Amiss

"Don't get me wrong. You two look absolutely gorgeous together. But won't you two smile?" His sister was saying. We turned to look at each other before we both looked away. Was this unhappiness? Or was I just disappointed in my life's outcome?

I always knew marriage was a terrible thing. But I didn't realize it was going to be this terrible. I inwardly sobbed. I couldn't bring myself to smile. I had to stay with this monster for an entire night. Ya Allah, please give me the strength to endure this night. Also please help me find some books around this house. I might be able to make it through the night if I end up reading the entire night! Please, Ya Allah! Please! Please! Please!

I looked around the small house. It was well set, but dark. Well, obviously since it was night. But even so... even with the lights on.... It was dark. I turned to look at the guy and realized he hadn't said a word since the moment we both met. I talked to his sister on and off during the car ride while he stayed quiet. It almost felt like he wanted to run away more than anything.

When none of us attempted a smile, his sister sighed.

"You two must be tired. I'll show you to your new room." She said smiling. I looked into her eyes and saw nothing... her eyes were empty. The smile was there, but her eyes... were empty.

"No need." I turned to look at him, not surprised by his anger, but more surprised that he actually had a voice. He grabbed my hand, and turned to his sister.

"You should leave." He said to her as he began to lead me away from her and to a room.

When I looked back, his sister was grinning with her arms crossed, and a malicious look was in her eyes. We went up the stairs and into a room. He slammed the door behind him, without a care in the world, and pushed me against the wall.

I was right.

He's a monster.

He punched his fist against the wall next to my ear, and I almost screamed. But I held it in.

"What are you after?" He asked. He was only two inches away from my face. "How do you know that old man?"

"After?" I asked. I could feel my shoulders tremble. "I'm not after anything and I don't even know who you're talking about." I said, as calm as I could. His hand fell to his side and he moved back a little. I quickly walked as far away from him as I could until I reached the end of the room near the window.

His face looked completely different. It almost looked like he had softened his look, but it was hidden behind a rigid face.

"So why'd you marry me?" He asked.

"I didn't have a choice." I replied, still trembling.

"So you were forced as well." He said, sighing. He walked closer, and held out his hand, and a grin appeared on his face as naturally as his glares. "That means we're friends." I stared at him dumbfounded. I stopped trembling, and continued staring at him confused.

"Forced? I wouldn't be here if I didn't make the decision myself." I said, defensively while refusing to shake the hand he held out for me. 

Friends?

In what way? 

"Well that's what you say, but..." He stared at me carefully. He didn't have to say anything after that. 

"Okay maybe I was pressured... but at the end of the day my mother wouldn't marry me off to someone I didn't give my consent to - no matter how selfish and cruel of a woman she is."

"Why did you marry me then?" He asked. 

"Well... I guess you could say I needed some freedom?" I said, with uncertainty. His face hardened, and my shoulders started trembling. 

It was a lie. But I couldn't let him know the real reason. Not yet at least. 

"But I'm guessing you were forced?" I asked. 

"If you put it that way... I guess I did it more for the freedom as well." He replied quietly. 

Instead of asking any further, I kept my mouth shut after that. 

A part of me did get married for the freedom that came with it... But why did I feel more like a caged bird?