Chapter 16: The Incident [Part 2]

Reminder: Please pray whatever prayer you need to pray before you read the chapter! 

Assalamu Alaikum warahmatullahi wabarakaatuhu guys!

So I think you guys have already noticed... but the update schedule isn't really working for me since I get really busy some weeks. So I'm just going to try updating as much as possible whether it takes a week or two weeks. I might update one more chapter by tomorrow to make up for last weeks missed update. But I'm also sort of having trouble with the 17th chapter. I'll see what I can do in shaa Allah. Anyways, enjoy!

Salaam <3

Chapter 16: The incident [Part 2]

"Why are you so obsessed with him?" Nura asked, almost hysteric. I bit my lip unconsciously trying to think of a way to get Nura to stop questioning me at the moment. It was only expected that she would be asking all these questions since she knew nothing of our relationship. I looked around frantically, trying to find something to distract the guys that were surrounding Harun. My eyes landed on Nura's bag, and the whistle attached to it.

"Is that real?" I asked Nura, pointing to her whistle.

"Forget about that! Why aren't you answering me?" She asked.

"I'll tell you everything afterwards. Now, tell me. Is that real?" I asked as I started to panic. She begrudgingly nodded and took it off her bag.

"What are you going to do with it?" She asked, pouting as she held it up.

"When I get two meters close to Harun, blow it to distract them." I said. She looked at me as if I was insane.

"What if they come onto me after?!" She asked, hysterically. I sighed.

"It's a distraction. No one's gonna say anything. You'll just get a couple of stares." I looked down at my feet and thanked God for giving me the brains to wear running shoes to university. With a campus this big, I don't need uncomfortable footwear. As we walked closer to Harun, the whistle blew, and almost everyone around us turned to Nura. Nura looked back and laughed nervously.

In the meanwhile, I grabbed Harun's hand and we ran to the staircase. When I looked behind, Harun had a surprised look on his face. But as soon as he looked back and saw one of the guys chasing us, he took my wrist and took the lead as we ran. I was already out of breath. Just because I owned a pair of running shoes didn't mean I was all that great at running. In fact, I could guarantee you that I was the most unathletic person out here. A minute later we were hiding in an empty classroom. The lights were off, my hijab was a reck, and I was already sweating buckets. But I looked in front of me at Harun who was still holding onto my hand unconsciously, as he looked out the door. Neither was he breathing loudly nor was he sweating one bit.

It was only then that I realized... I have to start working out. Forgetting the current situation, I was already beginning to set workout goals.

"I think they lost us." He said, turning to me. Even with the lights off, the sun was shining into the classroom brightly, so watching Harun turn red in just one moment was something I found really interesting. He let go of my wrist and apologized. I sighed, and slid down the wall and sat down, getting myself comfortable.

"You know, I know you probably think it's weird that I don't want you touching me..." He sits down in front of me and shrugs his shoulders.

"You probably have your own reasons." He said, quietly.

"Well, imagine 18 years of your life going by and you don't do physical contact with the opposite gender... at all. Sure, I'm not the only girl out there that spent all her life not engaging in physical touch with the opposite gender until she got married. But I still feel uncomfortable. Heck, I still feel uncomfortable having you see my hair. It's nerve racking just knowing that I'm married and that all of this is allowed. I'm just not used to it yet." I looked at him straight, "This is all too new to me. That's why I set up all of those stupid conditions... Because I'm not ready to accept the truth yet." His eyes lit up.

"So what you're saying is... you're shy?" I looked at him with a disgusted look.

"Excuse me?" I said in a loud voice, "I'm not shy!" Someone passed by the classroom and Harun put his hand over my mouth and turned his eyes to the door. My brows furrowed and I gave him an annoyed look. When he looked back at me and saw my annoyed look, he reached his other hand into his pocket and pulled something that sounded like wrappers. Before I could look down to figure out what it was, he removed his hand and stuffed something in my mouth. I felt the sour flavour blast in my mouth and my face twisted as if I was in severe pain. He laughed, but I was too focused on figuring out the candy's flavour to notice. "Is that how you're going to shut me up from now on?" I asked him in a whisper.

"Not really... I don't go around carrying sweet tarts everywhere I go."

"Well, you should carry it around more often," I said with a thoughtful look. I loved sour candies the most - probably because I had a sour personality. He stared at me amused.

"Why? Do they really shut you up?" He asked. I shook my head.

"No... they just taste good." I said.

"You know if you put it that way... about the whole touching situation... I don't think you're weird because of it. I guess you can't handle change that great." He said as if trying to take mental notes about me.

"Are you mocking me?" I asked with a sour look.

"No. I'm beginning to understand you now." He said, smiling. I stared at him quietly.

While I was as good as an open book, I still couldn't figure Harun out at all.

"So..." I began, "How did you get into that situation?" I asked him. He looked down and frowned.

"Do we need to discuss this?" He asked. "Isn't it better not to know any of it?"

And this is when I snapped.

"If that's how you feel, then fine. But I don't agree! In case you forgot, we're married to each other. I think I deserve to know a thing or two about you! I'm not sure what marriage really entails. Heck, I don't even know what friendship entails! But I'm pretty sure you share what's on your mind with each other and maybe even find solutions together! So tell me!" By the time I was done talking, I was already having a hard time catching my breath. Harun was frozen and his eyes were wide.

Once I calmed down and Harun recovered, he began to tell me what happened back there. It turns out, there was a bit of a misunderstanding.

"You were what... ?" I asked once again.

"They mixed me up with the wrong person. Apparently I look exactly like someone who ruined their lives or something." Knowing that Harun was someone with a violent past, I couldn't help but doubt his words. Was it really just a misunderstanding? Harun paused for a moment before he continued speaking, "Raaida," He said slowly, "Do you trust me?" He asked.

I stared at him with a serious gaze and pondered over the question that was something I had never really thought over. I bit my lip and kept my eyes on him.

"Harun... I might not look it, but I have severe trust issues. Never have I ever trusted someone so clearly before. But I'll trust you. If you break my trust, you're as good as dead though." He pushed his hair back and showed me another smile.

"Deal."