Chapter 1.0

"Adeline, Dudley!"
I sigh at the sound of my father's voice. Getting up quickly, I rush towards my calendar. Today is Dudley's birthday, isn't that fantastic! I hurry to change into today's outfit, making sure to be quick as to not get into any trouble. Once I am ready, I rush down into the kitchen, but not before knocking on Harry's door.

"Good morning everyone." I smile as I enter the room. The response I receive is nothing out of the ordinary, a grunt from my father and a silent glance from my mother. "I guess I'll get started on breakfast then."

"Wake up! We're going to the zoo!" Dudley's voice booms as four thuds follow. Presumingly the git jumped on the stairs right above Harry's room, which will cause dust to fall all around my poor cousin. He promptly comes into the kitchen, ignoring us all and heading straight for his presents.

"Here he is, the birthday boy!" Mom welcomes in excitement. I groan at her welcoming display and continue to play around in the kitchen. I'd much rather be in here than out around the table.

"Morning Harry." I greet him with a smile as he joins me at the stove.
"Morning Addie." My cousin responds with a yawn. "I am not prepared for a day that's all about Dudley."
"As if it's anything out of the ordinary though." I shrug, placing some toast on a plate.

Harry and I watch from the kitchen as Dudley tears through his presents and then proceeds to have a hissy fit. I roll my eyes as Harry becomes the new focus and receives one of his many lectures for the day.

"Come on you two." Mom instructs. "We're off to the zoo, go and get into the car."
I nod, muttering under my breath, "It's going to be a long day."

***

As soon as we arrive at the zoo, I remove myself from the rest of my family. I definitely cannot be bothered with the Dudley praising today.

Wandering around looking at the various enclosures, my heart begins to ache. These poor animals are all stuck, surrounded by bars and walls, constantly stared at; it isn't fair. I walk around aimlessly, trying to ignore the funny feeling that's been nagging at me recently, a feeling that I don't belong. Sighing, I make my way back towards Harry and Dudley, noticing that my brother just shoved our cousin who came into contact with the hard concrete beneath him.

"Harry are you okay?" I rush over. Instead of responding, he chooses to glare at the back of my brothers head. "Harry?"

Before receiving an answer, the most bizarre thing happens. I swear I could have imagined it. I stare at my brother who is suddenly on the other side of the snake enclosure, hands pressing against the glass, calling out for help. I glance beside me at Harry, who seems to be just as shocked as I am. As Dudley continues to whine, I can't help but release a laugh, causing Harry to follow my lead.

"How did that even happen?" I wonder.
"I don't know, I was just thinking of how much I wanted to murder Dudley, and then it happened!" Harry exclaims.
"You don't think you did that?" I ask, pointing at the enclosure. "But that's impossible."

Before he can respond, I feel a hand fasten on my upper arm, promptly dragging me outside.
"Ow." I complain, ripping my arm from my father's grip.

"What did you two do?" Dad booms, causing passing people to glance over.
"No-nothing father, we promise." I shake under his glare.
"Don't give me that rubbish!" He shouts his hand connecting with my cheek.

I gasp, tears beginning to well up.
"You'd better h-" Dad stops as he notices mom and Dudley coming towards us. "Oh Dudley my boy, let's get you home."

Piling into the car, I release a shaky breath. I glance beside me at Harry, who gives a reassuring nod. The car ride home has been mostly silent, all up until my annoying git of a sibling spoke up.