Chapter Three: The Train Ride and The Sorting Hat (Year One)

Sitting in a compartment with Hermione, we laugh along in conversation with some other first years. Seamus, Dean and Neville were talking about their families when we walked in.

"So Adeline, are you really a muggleborn?" Seamus asked with an Irish accent which is so adorable.
"Yeah. But my parents don't really care for me. It's just me and Harry...always has been." I say with a small smile.

I'm guessing Dean could sense the awkwardness because he thankfully changed the subject. I'm kind of happy that I have found people who understand me. The conversation shifted to a sport called Quidditch. It actually sounds like it would be fun. Maybe I should try out for the team.

"C'mon let's go and put on our robes." Hermione nudged me as she grabbed her bag. I nodded and followed behind her. We walked the length of the train to find the bathrooms where we were quick to change into our school robes. As we left the small space I bumped into someone...again.

"Sorry." I mumble but looking up the other person seems familiar. "Hey! You're that boy from Diagon Alley."
"Yeah, s-sorry about that." He responded awkwardly.
"Well I'll see you around then." I waved at him and walked back into our compartment.

"Who was that?" Neville asked.
"He's cute." Hermione commented making me blush scarlet.
"Aww she's blushing!!" Thanks a lot for stating the obvious Seamus.
"Look it was just some kid I bumped into at Diagon Alley." I inform with a shrug.
"Mmhmm" Dean sassed, causing me to glare at him before he quickly changed the subject.

Hermione started talking about the Hogwarts houses. There's Gryffindor, who prides itself in courage, nerve and chivalry. Hufflepuff is the house where students are said to be trustworthy, loyal and hardworking. Next, there is Ravenclaw, which Hermione said is characterised by its members wit, wisdom and passion for learning. Finally, there is Slytherin, where the members are known for cunningness and ambition.

"They all sound so intriguing." I comment as Hermione finishes her rant.
"Agreed." She nods, "although I do think that Gryffindor is the house I would like to be placed in."
"Same." Dean pips up. "If not courage, then what do I have?" He jokes, causing us all to explode in laughter.

"Trevor! Where's Trevor?" Neville jumps up, immediately starting to panic.
"Don't worry Neville, we'll help you look for him." I smiled reassuringly, regarding Neville's lost toad.
"Okay, we'll take this half of the train and girls you can take the other side." Seamus instructs, receiving a round of nods.

With that Hermione and I asked every compartment for Trevor but nobody has seen him. We kept on walking when I saw a dash of familiar brown hair and glasses.

"Harry! I found you." I run in and hug my cousin.
"Addie, what happened?" He asks in response.
"Well first I almost missed the train, then I met Hermione and now I'm here!" I beamed back at him.

My cousin smiles as he shakes his head at me.
"Who's this?" I question, motioning to the red-head boy in the compartment.
"Oh, Addie, this is Ron Weasley. Ron, this is my cousin Adeline Jade Dursley." Harry introduces.

"Pleased to meet you." I smile at the boy.
"You-you're Adeline...wicked." Ron speaks, absolutely gobsmacked.

"Oh and this is Hermione Granger." I introduce as I take a seat beside Ron.

~~~~~~~~~~

As the train ride comes to an end, everyone shuffles off in a hurry. Upon stepping on the platform, we are all greeted with Hagrid standing with a lantern to light up the path.

"Hello Harry, Adeline." He nods in our direction.
"Hey Hagrid." We both answer.

Once everyone is off the train, all the first years follow Hagrid to the boats that we need to sail across the lake to the castle. As we cross the lake, there castle looks incredible. There are millions of lights brightening up the night sky. I stare up in absolute amazement.

Departing the boats, we are ushered inside the castle to a set of stairs, where an elderly teacher stands patiently for us all.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors and join your classmates. But before you can take your seats you must be sorted into your houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff and Slytherin. Now."

I zone out as Professor McGongall gives her speech. I watch my feet as I kick a pebble around on the floor.

"Is it true then?" A voice questions, snapping me out of my day dream. "What they're saying on the train. Harry Potter has come to Hogwarts." I look over to see the kid from the train.
"This is Crabbe and Goyle and I'm Malfoy...Draco Malfoy." Ron snickers as he introduces himself.