NIGHT: 12 (pt.1)

-A FIGURE PASSED IN FRONT OF HER

-
A FIGURE PASSED IN FRONT OF HER.
Azade was still curled up again the wall, tears not yielding as they continued to run down her face. It had been only a few minutes since she left the dining room. She was now sitting beside the main hallway, her head turned towards the enterance. In those few minutes Azade had watched maids file in and out, changing blood soaked cloths as they tried to clean up the mess that was left from the night before.

That would be your blood they'd be cleaning, Azade thought as she found herself meeting the eyes of an old maid, who seemed to blink twice at her. She wondered what they would do with her body if she died. Would they send it back to her master? Bury it in the palace?

"I know what you're thinking."

Azade turned to see Sooraya standing behind her, her hands on her hips as the blue silk kaftan flowed beyond them. She scoffed and turned away from the woman. "I doubt it."

"You're in tears and you seemed to have taken an interest in this hallway." Sooraya mused, walking over to where Azade was sitting and leaning on the wall opposite to her. "That blood shouldn't have been yours."

"You said I was supposed to die soon."

"Not last night."

Azade gave a bitter laugh, humourless and cold. "And I'm supposed to trust you? Your mother seemed about as trustworthy when she star grazed me while I was asleep."She hadn't registered it until she had said it. The thought of Sian sneaking into her chambers at night to carve a mark on her skin—it made her sick.

"My Mother and I are meant to guide you through your fate. That is our price for dealing magic." Sooraya stated blankly, watching the hallway when anyone passed by. Once she was sure nobody was listening she spoke once more. "My Mother knows that you are meant to stop this madness. Once you have stopped it then you will have your death. Until then I suggest you try to stay alive."

"I'm done with your gods and your magic." She closed eyes for a moment, trying to keep herself calm. The deaths weren't Sooraya's fault. They were hers. They were hers.

"That's ironic."

Azade snapped her eyes open. "What? What do you mean?"

Sooraya grinned, raising a brow. "I guess you'll just have to stay alive long enough to find out."

"You witches and your damned secrets." Azade muttered, her mind reeling. They hide their truths beneath their tongues, what good does it do them to hide everything from me?

They stared at each other like that for what seemed like awhile, not a word between them. Azade felt her shoulders relax as she laid her head back against the wall and turned her gaze to the ceiling instead. "Promise me something."

"What?"

She gave a deep breath, wanting to count the chips in the roof instead of saying what she was about to ask. It seemed like a terrible thing to say, morbid to say the least.