The Weary King

Askan sighed and rubbed his forehead. He was so very tired. He held open court on Fridays and hordes of people came to him with their complaints. Solving all of their problems took most of his energy. He knew that he was only a popular king because that he liberated them from a monster. They wouldn't consider anyone else a monster at least not one that ferocious.

He did not make the mistake of trusting anyone else. Not after... anyways. He had a council. One whose honey coated lies he kept on an arms length. Never again. But the pressure was too much and he felt the weight of the crown bearing down on him. It was a heavy dreadful thing. Another one was waiting in his chamber. It had been made by his finest craftsmen and its design was identical to his. It was smaller and lighter than his and was elegant. Fit for a Queen indeed. He would choose the wearer of this crown carefully. Whose loyalties lay with him and him alone.

Askan wearily got up from his throne and made his way out. His guards who had waited outside bowed and followed him. He made his way through the palace. It was beautiful with delicately crafted designs. Its walls were painted a dull gold and the deep red carpet which was morbidly pretty. The stories he had heard of it made him shiver. Every person who he passed  bowed to him. He stood up a bit straighter and adjusted his crown.

Reaching his bed chambers, Askan waited till his guards scanned the room. He then entered once it had been confirmed that it was safe. His room was not the previous king's chambers. He had not wanted to occupy those. A new wing had been constructed for him.

Removing the crown he massaged his stiff neck. He sat down and began to read. Letters had to be dispatched to each of the neighboring kingdoms as well as the small estates on the borders of his kingdom. He would inspect each and everyone of them and make sure everything was being run smoothly. The matter of a Queen would take longer to decide and he would have to think what to do about that later.

He was so engrossed in his thoughts that he did not notice the scuffle that took place outside his door. It was only when his door opened did he jerk up.

"What-?"

A man with a very long knife had just entered the room.

________________________________________________________

Hey!!!!!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter. It was a bit tricky to write and I find Askan a difficult character. He's like an onion. I'll have to cry while cutting him open. I might write tomorrow but I have to go to school. :( ( I know. School in the holidays is just plain sad)

Read A Monster Made by mysteriousuniverse. It's AMAZING!

May the stars watch over you.

~Danim