Sharpen your weapon

"OUCH!"

This was undoubtedly the worst day of her life.

"If you tighten the dress a little bit more I will stick this pin into you."

"Ah but Madam Desdemona - You say that every year."

Desdemona harrumphed. It was fitting day. Alena had pulled a grumpy Desdemona out of bed and dragged her to a room where bolts of every kind of cloth and colour had been placed.Silk, velvet, cotton and several others she didn't recognize.  Alena was her only attendant as the others were too scared of her. Desdemona respected her. She admired the fact that she was fearless and had unrivaled cheer. Alena was the only person who she could actually call her friend.

"Alena?"

"Yes Madam Desdemona?"

"Why is this necessary? I don't like dresses. Even if I did why would I want to look pretty? Beauty is dangerous. It keeps you twice as exposed and vulnerable."

" Yes, but then again beauty can be a weapon. We can hone it to make it twice as dangerous to others."

"Do you think that a woman's sole purpose is to marry?"

Alena sighed and put aside a pink piece of cloth.

"Well. The whole mansion did hear your disagreement with your father. I do not think that to marry is all but advantages. But it is not that bad. We know how much you value your freedom but there are things greater than that. Everything comes at a cost. Even freedom."

"But-" she started.

"I think that you have had a very wrong idea of what marriage is. But you can afford to entertain these thoughts. We cannot. Marriage can be our only option for survival."

"Yes but the idea of being shackled to someone and not having a free will makes me feel claustrophobic."

Alena sighed again,picked up two pieces of cloth and asked,

"Do you want Lavender Blue or Blue lavender?"

Desdemona groaned. It was going to be a long day.

_________________________________________________________

Sorry for the short chapter. I'll make the next one extra longgggg.

Mysteriousuniverse Alena's for you!

May the stars watch over you.

~Danim.