Kilorn's Last Day

My last day of school was nothing special.

   I had to leave school to be an apprentice for a fisherman who worked on the river. He promised me food, shelter, and safety from conscription when I got older. It was the perfect deal.

   But if I worked, that means I wouldn't stay in school, I wouldn't learn to read or write, or do simple math. And worse, Mare would be all alone.

   Mare didn't complain. She knew that overall this would be good for me, but she would be left alone during the school day. She would have no one to talk to, no one to sit with, and no one to stand by her.

    I tried to tell her it wouldn't be all that bad. I would get out of work when she got out of school, and we could still go into town together. But she was still upset.

   I could tell she tried to suppress her feelings, but on the last day, I swear I saw her crying. She says she didn't, but I know what I saw.

   I did worry though. We were only seven, she could forget all about me and go find another friend, and I would be all alone again. But she didn't. Like any other Barrow I knew, she was loyal.

   It wasn't too uncommon for kids to leave in the middle of the school year to go work, even at our age, so I didn't get any goodbyes. The kids knew they would see me around, weather they would want to or not. It wasn't like I was dying. But, Mare still wanted to give me a little send off.

   At the end of the day, before we were released to go wherever we wanted, Mare pulled me to the side and said her goodbyes.

   "Don't drown" she said.

    "Haha," I said rolling my eyes. "I know how to swim I'll be fine."

   She still looked a little nervous, so I decided to give her a little advice too.

   "Make sure to keep the dummies in line, and at least try not to fall asleep in class. Your snoring is unbearable!"

   She smiled, the punches me in the arm. "Says you! You've fallen asleep plenty more times then I have."

   And then we went on our way. She to her house, and I to mine.

   Then I heard a call and turned around.

    "Good luck tomorrow Warren! I'll see you after class!" She called, cupping her hands around her mouth.

   I smiled. I couldn't wait to see her again tomorrow.