We are Family

My parents weren't around for most of my life. My dad left to fight in the Silver's war when I was very young, and when my mom and I found out that he was dead, my mom left me. I had no one.

   All of my grandparents were dead, I never knew of any aunts or uncles, so I definitely didn't have any cousin, and I was an only child.

   I was thankful that the Barrows took me in though. Mare did give me a hard time when we first met, but over time we grew together, and I got a family. Not only Mare, but her mom and dad and brothers and sister. They were there for me.

   I didn't get too close though (and it did take me awhile to get used to them and for them to get used to me) but I was happy.

   I did keep my distance most of the time. I lived on my own, I only came to dinner every now and then, and I tried not to barge into their house when I came over, but they always welcomed me with open arms when I did come for a visit. They trusted me, and I never said it, but I loved being a part of their family.

   Dinners were always very interesting though.

   The Barrows didn't have much money like all the other family's living in The Stilts, and a little money meant a little food. But, they did always try to scrounge up a little bit for me to eat. And even with almost no food, Mrs. Barrow made all her kids get around the table to eat and talk. And kids will always be kids.

   There were slurs thrown at each other (then scowls) and sometimes food flung from person to person (and then more scowls.) But I just sat in the middle, smiling, and trying not to cause any more trouble.

   Mr. Barrow wasn't there in the beginning. He was fighting like my father had, but Mrs. Barrow knew how to keep her kids in line.

   "Stop throwing that food around and get it in your mouth or I'll do it for you!" She'd say.

   Shade listens right away and started eating, but Mare was a little reluctant to stop. In her eyes, this was war. But she eventually stoped and ate too, with a frown on her face. It would always take awhile for Tramy and Bree to calm down and stop, but they always did. And Gisa was to little to do anything then.

   Mrs. Barrow would always give me a look after she yelled at her kids, almost saying "Can you believe this?" And I would just give her a small smile and shake my head. And then she would continue yelling at her kids. Mrs. Barrow and I didn't talk much, but I always loved those little moments.

   "So how was your day Bree?" Mrs. Barrow would ask.

   "Fine," he replies.

   "Tramy? How was your day?" She would ask, turning to her second son.

   "Okay," he said shrugging and playing with his food.

   "Okay," she would sign a little bit then turn to Shade. "How was your day Shade?"

   "It was good mom. School was nothing special but I got all my work done."

   Mrs. Barrow would always smile at Shade's real answers, then turn to Mare.

   "Mare, sweetie, how was your day?"

   "It was okay, nothing special," Mare would reply trying to make an effort but not succeeding. Mrs. Barrow would just smile and keep eating. When Gisa gets older she will probably ask her, but her youngest daughter was with her all day so the conversation dies.

   We would sit there in silence, until I decided I couldn't take much more.

   "How was your day Mrs. Barrow?"

    She looked up unexpectedly with a blank look on her face, then realized that I had just asked her a question and responded.

   "It was very nice Kilorn, thank you for asking. It was good weather and I got some chores done. How was your day?"

   I smiled, not quite sure what to say, the replied with "It was a good day, but it got really good when I came here."

   Her smile grew into something more real, and I was glad to make her happy. She had always been like a mother to me anyways.