Mama Bear and Fish Boy

I remember it like it was yesterday. Mare was sick, and It was her birthday.

It was already hard enough to "celebrate" a birthday in The Stilts (because of the lack of money,) but Mare had to get medicine. So she couldn't really "celebrate" at all. Her mother tried to get something for Mare too look forward to, but all Mare did was sit in bed all day and guzzle down a strange purple liquid every few hours.

She was devastated, but it was hard to tell when her face wasted from her fever, her mouth was open so she could breath, and her eyes were bloodshot from throwing up. I did try to cheer her up, but Mrs. Barrow didn't want me to get sick either, so she sent me home until dinner at their house.

   When I did get home, I was stuck on the question of "what could make Mare happy?" She needed something to make this day a little less crappy. And even if I didn't have much to spare, I was going to do something.

I have been working for my apprentice for about 2 years now, so did have some money saved up, but I needed it for food. But this was for Mare.

I scooped up sim of my cash, then made my ay into town. I would steal something if I really needed to, but know that I work (like all the people I steal from) I've decided I don't really need to do it as often. (Except for emergencies for course.)

After a short walk I make it into town. Booths are set up everywhere with things people could barley afford (or don't even need.) But, when you make your way to the back of the rows there are little trinkets and food for cheep.

I scan around looking for something I'm not even sure of. Nothing elaborate or extravagant, just something nice.

I couldn't get her clothes, and I couldn't get her food. I didn't want to get her something that she could get on an ordinary day. Something that her family couldn't buy because they needed every last penny.

And then there it is. It's so stupid it's great. And the object itself isn't that useful or amazing, but what I thought when I saw it would make up for that.

I ask the lady at the booth how much it is and then throw her half my money and run with the present in hand. It's almost time for dinner so I run all the way to Mare's house.

Once I make it to the door I am almost out of breath but I still pound on the door vigorously to get Mrs. Barrow's attention. A moment later she swings open the door with a slightly confused and a slightly annoyed expression on her face.

"Kilorn, sweetie, I know I invited you to dinner but you didn't have to rush here. You could have taken your time," she said.

"I know I know," I replied trying to catch my breath. "I got Mare a present so I came here right away."

"Oh alright," she said still not understanding why I felt the need to sprint here. But she lets me in anyways and tells me to go see if Mare is awake yet and to tell her that dinner will be ready soon.

I walk over to Mare and Gisa's loft and climb the ladder to see if she is awake. She must have been just starting to wake up because she wakes with a gasp when she sees me, then calms down when she realizes it's just me.

"Wow fish face, good job waking me up. Everyone loves to wake up to a kid staring at them." She says while rubbing the sleep out of her eyes.

"Sorry," I say, ready to give the present to her.

I climb the rest of the way into the loft then sit down and the bottom of Mare's feet. She looks at me speciously but I don't mind. I take the present out from behind my back and watch as a smile brushes over her face.

"What the hell is that?" She asks chuckling (and coughing) a bit.

"It's your present!" I explain. "See, it's a teddy bear holding a fish. You're the bear, because you're mean and scary, but also because you protect me. And I'm the fish because, well, I always fish."

I expect her to laugh and tell me it's stupid, but her smile just grows and she takes it from my hands to observe it.

"I love it," she says while smiling and hugging it (instead of hugging me.)

"I'm glad you do. Happy Birthday Mare," I mumble. "Oh! And dinners on the table is 5. Get your lazy butt out of bed and let's eat!"

And so, we walked to the table for Mare's birthday dinner. And although there wasn't much, she was definitely happy.