Chapter 3

You turned on your heals to head back to your bedroom to check up on your little guest, but before you could even move an inch you heard an enormous CRASH.

....and it came from the kitchen.

-----------------------------------------

You spun around on your toes, your head whipping around in the direction of the crash. It definitely came from the kitchen, and the clatters against the stone tiles was a dead giveaway. Your heart was beating unusually fast, and you could feel it pumping in your chest.

As much as you didn't want to head towards the noise, you knew you had to check it out. You were in charge of this house, so you had to know what happened. A plate could've smashed and left a huge glass mess.

"Calm down, (Y/N). It's probably nothing." You reassured yourself, but the shakiness in your voice really didn't help. You crept out of the living room and reached the door of the kitchen. Slowly and steadily, you pushed it open, scared to see what happened.

You stared at the kitchen. It wasn't exactly horrifying, but it was pretty strange. There were knifes scattered all over the floor in random areas. They varied from small to large, but they weren't in order. The wooden knife rack that usually hangs up on the kitchen wall had somehow fallen off the wall and was now resting on the floor amongst the knifes, despite the fact that it was nailed to the wall.

"Geez, what happened here?" You asked youself, heartbeat slowing down at its own pace. You trotted over to the floor and began to pick the knifes and the rack up, placing them on the counter. Once you were done you stared at the items in deep thought.

Something wasn't right.

You squinted at them long and hard. Then you realised what was wrong.
Steadily, you lifted each knife up and arranged them in order on the knife rack, smallest to biggest. You lifted the last knife and placed it on the nail that suspends it. Your pupils shrunk as you looked at the sight before you.

There was a knife missing.

"What the...?!" In a fit of stress, you scanned desperately around the kitchen floor, trying to find the knife missing. It wasn't the absence of the knife that panicked you in particular, but its size is what scared you. It just happened that the biggest knife on the rack had just vanished. It was a big butcher knife that you always used on meat, because it cuts through it with ease.

"I don't understand. How can it just disappear?" You questioned outloud, looking under the kitchen table. You sighed.

Was there a point in looking for something that seemingly didn't exist anymore?

You decided to give up. If it wasn't in the kitchen, there wasn't a point in searching. Perhaps you'd lost it ages ago and just forgot? That was the only rational explanation.

"Okay reality, I'll play your game." You said sarcastically as you climbed up the stairs towards your bedroom. You reached your bedroom and, just before you pushed it open, you laughed to yourself, realising how stupid you've been acting.

"Don't be so stupid, (Y/N)" you said, pushing the door open, "There's nothing weird going on here."

Famous last words. You had actually convinced yourself for a second that nothing was wrong, but the world seemed to love to prove you wrong. Believe it or not, in front of you was something that defied everything you'd ever been taught. What separated reality from fiction.

Your doll was moving, no, climbing onto your bed. On its own.

....you screamed.