Most Important Person ~ Peter/Spider-Man x Heartbroken!Reader

Au where Peter breaks up with the reader but then he finally gives a reason why
Request for TheStarry_Night
____
(Y/n)'s Point Of View
____

"Pass the popcorn" Peter said to me in a monotone voice during the middle of the movie. I nodded, grabbing the bowl and passing it to him.

Peter's been my boyfriend for eight months now, and he's amazing and everything is perfect with him.

Right as the ending credits rolled in, sirens went off, and Peter shifted uncomfortably in his spot on the couch.

"Everything okay?" I asked, and he nodded without breaking his eye contact with the screen.
"I-um... I have to go" he said a second later with a sympathetic tone, and then he kissed me goodbye and left.

____
Peter's Point Of View
____

Once I left (y/n) I disappeared into one of the backstreets of Queens and changed into my super suit, and then I ran out to fight the bad guys.

~~~~

After the fight with the Vulture, I was left with the wind knocked out of me.

I was taken to the hospital by Tony himself, and there I found that I have a bruised rib, a broken ankle, and a fractured elbow.

I couldn't stop thinking while the nurse wrapped my ankle. I could have gotten seriously hurt....
"So, anyone special at home?" The nurse spoke up, breaking my train of thought. "Hmm?" I asked, even though I heard the question just fine. "You know, a hunk like you must have a girlfriend" she said without skipping a beat. That's weird that the first form of small talk she thinks of is my relationship status.... hmm, a hunk?

"Or a boyfriend, I'm not here to judge." She adds in.

I do have a special someone at home. (Y/n)... she's my special someone, and I could get hurt... I could die, and she wouldn't know why.... or even worse, she could get hurt. People like the Vulture could use her against me. I can't do this to her. I have to end it. I don't have a choice. She doesn't deserve this, and she doesn't me...

~~the next day~~

I slumped to (y/n)'s small apartment building door and knocked until she answered. "Hey!" She said cheerfully, and then her mood dropped when she saw my face. "Peter, what's wrong?"

"I have to talk to you" I say softly. "Yeah, of course, come inside" she offered, but I shook my head. "Just come inside" she offered once more, this time a little more forcefully, but I just shook my head again. "No... I can't, I'm sorry." I said, trembling all over the place, and she knew what I was about to say.

"I don't think we should continue this anymore... I'm so sorry." I told her, and I looked down at the floor before I could see her reaction. "W-what? Why? What happened?" She pondered, tears swelling up in her eyes. "I don't want to hurt you" I said, walking away before I could see her reaction.

____
(Y/n)'s Point Of View
____

The second after Peter walked away, I fell to my knees and began to ball my eyes out.

I can't believe this.... I thought we were in love. I love him... and I thought he loved me....

I forced my hand over my mouth to muffle my screams erupting from my chest, hoping that no one would hear, hoping that he wouldn't hear.

I slumped into my room and I slammed into the door to get it open, and I fell into bed, grabbed my pillow and cradled it in my arms as a pathetic way to pretend that nothing had just happened.

~~months later~~

As I was walking home from school, someone stumped behind me.

I ripped my headphones out of my ears and whipped my head around to see who's behind me.

"Spider-Man?" I ask, and he nods, then walked up to where I was.

"Anything wrong?" I ask, but he just shook his head. I assume he can't really talk... what if I recognize the voice, right?

I look over and study him for a solid minute. Even the way he walks reminds me of Peter....

Once we reached my house, I asked him if he wanted to come inside, but he shook his head. "Wow you remind me of him" I said quietly under my breath, and he gave me a strange look. "Oh, I forgot how dialed up your senses are" I said, forcing laughter.

Just when I thought he got bored of staring at me, his hand jolted up to his mask, and his fingers danced with the lining of it.

Spider-Man slowly pulled it off, revealing his face.

"Peter?" I said in complete and utter shock. "Hey (y/n)" he said in a small voice. "You-you're hhim" I stutter, tripping over my words as I spoke. "I'm so sorry for not telling you, I just couldn't before." He said, speaking softly. "I-um... do you want to come inside?" I asked, and he nodded while smiling. "I'd love to come inside."

"Well-um- would you like something to drink?" I offered, fiddling with my hands. "I'm okay." He said casually. How is he being so casual?! "So, how long have you... um... been Spider-Man?" I asked while leading him to the couch. "About a year and a half now" Peter said. So he had the powers before we were dating.

"I actually came to talk to you about Spider-Man and me and you" Peter said while staring directly into my eyes. I nodded, edging him to continue.

"I never gave you a reason to why we broke up, and that was unfair of me." He started, "I want to tell you that this is why.... I never stopped loving you... it was just because of everything going on as Spider-Man, and I didn't want you to get caught up in all of that." Peter sadly, but honestly, said without breaking eye contact with me.

"Oh Peter, you know you could have told me." I said, looking back at him. "I would've understood and I could've helped you" I continued.

He sighed, looking at the ground, and then back up at me. "I couldn't risk you getting hurt, and being the most important person to me and knowing who I am would have put you at risk."

"You mean was the most important person to you" I say bluntly, and he looks right back at the ground, "I mean is the most important person to me." Peter said. Oh wow, I dreamed of this moment for months, and it's finally here, and I still don't know what to say.
"Maybe we can try this again?" I suggest, shifting the mood from sulky to cheerful. "Really?" He said in a high pitched voice filled with excitement. I nod while biting my lip, "Yeah."