Chapter 10 stampede

Secrets are like Pandora's boxes, mighty things, when released they grow springs and walk, they grow mouths and talk. I will remember our footsteps on November the 4th. The footsteps of individuals desperate to protect a secret to stop it from aging, from growing limbs, from breathing life. Though our limbs were weary with sleep we mopped at the blood aggressively with loose rags that i found in the garage and wrapped Ivy's heavy body in one of Mothers old bedsheets, we checked all windows and i was watchman at the front door as the body was carried into Taurus Drakes Midnight audi and put in the boot of the car. We drove for hours to Governors creek bay, after cleaning the lounge thouroughly, the statue of a woman that had been wielded with such force, was also in the boot, every traffic stop our heart beats raced. Raindrops beat heavy on the car window, a stampede of tears, as though heaven was crying for my future. What had we just done? What had i just done? My hands were still shaking, my skin was clammy with cold sweat, my mouth was dry. This secret would be between us for the rest of our lives, we would be lost. Ivy was a drifter, she had been somewhat lost herself, her mum had abandoned her at the age of 9, and she was in constant conflict with an alcoholic father, all she'd had was a jealous aunt. Who she'd spent many years trying to get away from, she'd wandered from shelter to shelter,after being made homeless by Aunt Isobel, Aunt Issy she'd nicknamed her the demon of the dark. Yet if she were the demon of the Dark who were we, that had smiled at her, and wiped her tears, shared her comforts , and were her co pilots. We were the ones who had cleaned her blood! I felt sick, id felt sick the whole ride, i could feel a panic attack coming, yet i took deep slow and steadying breaths. My brother slowed the car as a police car with the siren came on and scooted past us. My heart did a tango. "She's dead ," i whispered, "and things will never be the same again". Taurus locked in his own cobweb of shadowy thoughts finally spoke half an hour later, " I..." he started the sentence but the words never followed.

"Murder." was his final sentence. "I just killed Ivy," there was shock in his voice, " i could go down for a long time for this."