chapter eleven | maddie

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I park my car

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I park my car. The cooling wind brushes through my long chestnut hair. After I had dragged myself out of the restrooms, I decided to skip school and go some place, the place I am now. At first I wasn't sure where I was going but then I found a familiar path, to which lead to a very familiar place. So here I am now, standing in front of the bakery my parents used to own. I smile to myself, it hasn't changed one bit.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀This pace is special to me, it holds many happy memories. Back then everything was so perfect. I was a little girl without a care in the world. All I saw was happiness. Tears begin to fill my eyes. I weakly smile at the memories that are lost, gone forever, but were so beautiful.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Excuse me" a voice breaks me from my thoughts. I turn to see the subject of the voice and I am greeted with an all too familiar face, I know just who it is. "Can I help you?" Christi, my moms old best friend speaks. "Uh-um sorry, I-I was just passing by" I nervously stutter, not wanting her to somehow recognise me from when I was young. She looks at me, narrowing her eyes and furrowing her brows a little, as if she is trying to make something out of me, as if she somehow remembers me. I take a deep breath and quickly turn around, beginning to walk back to my car.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Madison?" Her voice sends a wave of chills down my spine. I bite my lip and turn back around. "I'm sorry, what?" I pretend to be confused. Her brows are still furrowed, she shakes her head. "Uh- sorry, sorry, I just thought you were someone."
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I smile weakly and walk back to my car. As I drive past I take one last look at the bakery and my mom's old best friend and sigh, small tears escape my eyes.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀She recognised me. Remembered me. I let out a big sigh, I hadn't realised I had been holding my breath. I blast the radio, hoping it will stop the tears. Finally I reach what I call home. Home. No this is not home, home is not a place but a feeling, this is merely but a house, not home.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀I get out of my car and walk towards the house door, it's getting dark outside. I look down at my phone. 7:54 pm. I didn't realise how late it was. I walk inside and there he is, waiting for me.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Well, look who finally decided to show up" my step dad slurs. I stare at him, motionless. He walks up to me, he does nothing but stare for a few seconds, before bashing me over the head. I expect more but nothing comes. He just smashes his beer bottle on the ground.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"Clean up this mess" he grunts, pointing down at the bottle he just smashed, before turning around.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"No." I whisper.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀He slowly turns back around, "what did you say?" He asks. "I said no!" I yell. If Chloe can do it so can I. He balls his fists.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"I am going to give you one last chan-"
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀"NO!" I scream. That's when he comes running towards me, shoving me into the side of a table. I fall. He kicks me repeatedly, then throws me against a wall. "You will do as you're told!" He yells before picking up a candle stick and striking me over the head with it, hard. Very hard. And that's when I blackout.