Dreams

Chapter Six:

David and I got up quickly and walked to where the shoot was. The room was filled with lights and people milling about ready to get started as well as a TARDIS in the centre.

"David, I would hate to state the obvious but that is the TARDIS sitting right there," I said in shock. He laughed in response.

"Yeah it is, you get used to seeing it every day though I really want to fly it." The photographer directed us to stand in front of my favourite blue police box and pose. I had no idea what I was doing so I continued with my fake it until I make it attitude and hoped it worked. It seemed to work because the photographer lapped it up and the shoot was over in ten minutes. I checked my phone to find it was four o'clock and I had to start work in an hour. I checked that it was ok for me to go and headed back to my dressing room to get changed. A knock on the door alerted me to someone's presence and I yelled for them to enter.

"Hey Zoe, you ran out of the shoot. Are you ok?" David asked concerned.

"Yeah I'm good, thanks to you. I just have to get to work. I may be the new companion but until the paychecks start rolling in I can't give up on my day job," I told him folding up my clothes nice and neatly for Alice. 

"Oh alright, when can I see you again? A month is a long time and I would love to hang out with you before filming starts again," David asked rubbing the back of his neck in embarrassment like the Doctor did.

"Give me a call and we will organise something," I said grabbing a piece of paper to write down my number. "Do you have a pen?" I asked searching for one but all was on my desk was a box of tissues. David shook his head and I uncapped the red lipstick that I had found in my bag. "This will have to do." I scribbled down my name a number and a quick note before folding up the paper and giving it to him.

"Thanks, I'll call you." I quickly kissed his cheek and said goodbye before heading off home to my flat. Today had been a weirdly good day and I didn't want it to end.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I slammed the door shut and collapsed on the steps, too lazy to walk up them and go to my room. It had been four days since I had gained the role as Lilly Clarke, the Doctor's companion on Doctor Who but I still couldn't tell anybody and still had to deal with shit at work. Like the two blokes who came in this evening at the restaurant and decided it was ok to slap my ass and cat call me. I'm a girl so I should enjoy their compliments right? I couldn't even complain about it to Macy as she was back home with her family in Ireland for the week before and during Christmas so I was home alone. I stomped into the kitchen and grabbed a fork out of the drawer slamming in close. Tucking into the leftovers from work I sat on the couch and attempted to cheer myself up with an episode of Bones. Though the episode was amazing like normal I just couldn't get into it so I went to bed. I spent all evening twisting and turning unable to get to sleep even if I wanted to, until it was around midnight. I usually needed at least eight hours of sleep each night to function though I had a funny feeling that wouldn't happen. I finally dropped off to find my subconscious assaulted by my worst moments in dream form.

I was standing in an empty paddock, grass tickled my bare feet and I was all alone, or so I thought. Suddenly everyone I knew was surrounding me. Pushing down on me. Causing me to suffocate. All yelling. You will never make it Zoe. We don't love you. You aren't our friend. Nobody will love you. You will be forever alone. Alone. Alone.

I woke up, that one word playing in my head like a broken record. Alone. I would forever be alone. My cheeks became soaked with a torrent of tears that I couldn't keep in. Sobs racked my body and I was close to hyperventilating. It wasn't a panic attack as I didn't get those but it was scary and I didn't know what was happening. I hadn't felt this kind of grief in years. I picked up my phone desperate to talk to someone but I knew I couldn't call Macy. So I called the only person I knew who could help.

"David?" I croaked.

"Zoe, Zoe, where are you? Are you ok? It's two o'clock in the morning, what's wrong?" He questioned, the worry evident in his voice.

"I had a bad dream." I sounded pathetic and was so close to hanging up the phone. He didn't care that I had had a bad dream at two in the morning.

"Ok, I'll be there soon. It will be alright Zoe, I... I'll be there as soon as I can," He told me. I heard rustling as he got out of bed and began to get dressed.

"Thank you," I said softly. I hung up the phone and got out of bed to unlock the front door for him. I slunk back up the stairs and crawled into bed. Waiting for someone to come and save me.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I felt the end of my bed sink as someone sat on the edge.

"Zoe, are you ok?" David asked gently.

"No," I moaned wiping away tears. I thought I wasn't much of a crier but today obviously wasn't my day. I could feel him lie down next to me and wrap his arms around me. We were cramped together in my single bed (I could only afford a single when I moved here and now owned too much stuff to get a bigger bed).

"I'm so sorry to call you here in the middle of the night. I was just being silly. I'm fine now," I said attempting to convince him and myself.

"You are not fine Zoe Griffin," He breathed.

"No I'm not. Of course I'm not but there is nothing I can do about it right now. I just had a bad day and it's close to Christmas and no one is here."

"Where is everyone?" He asked running his fingers through my hair softly. I sighed contently as he continued.

"Macy is with her family, I don't know anyone else who could be close enough and my parents disowned me when I moved here." He pulled me in closer and squeezed me tighter. "I'm sorry David I'm normally not this clingy. Well I wouldn't know I haven't had a boyfriend in a while," I confessed.

"Am I your boyfriend?" He whispered.

"If you want to be."

"Yes."

"Yes what?"

"Yes of course I want to be your boyfriend." I quickly rolled over to face him and smiled. He smiled back, his eyes shining.

"You know you could come to my place for Christmas, it'll be a small thing with just my family, they would love..." I interrupted him with a sudden kiss. I was worried when he froze until he began to kiss me back gently. Our kiss deepened and I pulled him closer. His hands found the small of my back and rested there. He pulled away softly after a minute or two and stared at me.

"Hey, you know I will always look after you right? No matter what I'm here for you."

"I know David. Thank you. Not many people would come and look after me at two in the morning. One day I will tell you what is wrong with my brain but right now I feel happy and that is a rarity." I flicked on the lamp next to my bed and we lay together talking and laughing.

"I look really good in that poster over there," He laughed pointing at my shrine. I mentally facepalmed.

"I really should take that down now I have the real thing but at least the poster doesn't talk as much as you do," I joked.

"I'm deeply offended by that statement and as such will go to sleep now," He said turning over and facing the wall. I squeezed him and whispered in his ear,

"Sorry love. Thank you." He turned back around and sighed contently. I kissed him lightly before closing my eyes.

"Goodnight Zoe."

"Goodnight David," I mumbled, sleep taking over. I drifted off to sleep happier than I had been in years.

Hey everyone!

I hope you really like this chapter as it is one of my favourites and I think it is so cute!

Please vote and comment because I love hearing your feedback :)

Love Girl Surviving the World xx