Over a year

Avas POV

My hand slammed against the surface of my bedside table as I attempted to give myself any extra amount of sleep possible. The annoyingly loud beeping sound next to my ears made me want to rip them off.

"Shut up..." I slammed my fist down in a different spot and this time something metal clanked against the floor. My eyebrows furrowed as I could have sworn my bedroom floor didn't sound like tile.

Opening my eyes proved more difficult than usual. Slowly, I squinted them open.

This is not my bedroom.

A heavy annoyed sigh escaped my lips when I was painfully reminded of the hell box - my bad - alarm clock beside me. Eyes no longer squinted, I turned my head only to be met with nothing but one of those tiny boxes of cereal and a bowl.

Then where the hell was that beeping coming from?

My head started to slowly gain a painful rythm, making my mood shoot even lower. My eyes shifted over to the tall heart monitor standing next to my bed.

That's just great.

Apparently my fall in the schools backyard had been far more serious then I assumed. The details are a bit fuzzy, but did I not just hit my head slightly?

"Well look who's up." Abigail - a student in my class - came in from my left with a white lab coat, something that made me laugh on the inside.

Abigail had her brown hair in a braid, which wasn't out of the ordinary. Her eyes gave off a green glint but no one has ever been able to say what colour they are. The freckles on her face seem to have faded though, and my mind raced with questions.

"What're you doing here?"

She shot me a questioning look, and proceeded to grab the clipboard attached to the wall across from me. "You hit your head real good, but I don't think you'll have any permanent damage."

"Ok that's great, but I think I'd like to hear it from a doctor. Thanks though."

Abigail just stared into my eyes in confusion before something seemed to have clicked. "No, not permanent damage..."

"Are you implying that I do have damage? Listen, all I did was hit my head playing around man. I doubt it was that dangerous."

"Playing around?" Abigail came to sit at the foot of my bed. "What exactly were you doing?"

Was she not there? "I don't remember exactly, it's a bit fuzzy. Oh, is this what you mean by damage? Dude, you should really become a doctor some day."

She shook her head and grabbed a walkie-talkie from her belt. "Cheif, I think you'll wanna get down here. Bring 6D, he'll wanna come too."

"Is this an emergency, 8A?"

"Not an emergency, but definitely something to be addressed right now." Abigail started to head back towards the door with a frown on her face. "It could cause many problems."

"Alright. 6D will be informed and we will join you shortly."

If anything else was said, the door closing between me and the old device limited my hearing.

After many minutes of examining the boring walls surrounding me, Dawson calmly walked into the room while casually speaking with Abigail.

"Ava! You're awake!" He launched himself towards me, the enthusiasm causing me to roll my eyes. Before he could attack me with a hug however, I asked a question which had him stopping in his tracks.

"Why aren't you at your baseball tournament?" I was genuinely curious, and pissed off. He worked very hard to get where he was, and he throws it all away cause I got a bump on my head?

Dawson turned to look at Abigail with a frown before looking back at me. "What baseball tournament?"

"Oh yeah, play dumb with me why don't you. Obviously it's not over yet, so why the hell are you here instead of there?" He looked distraught with each word that escaped me, his hands starting to figit with each other.

"I don't..." I could basically see the wheels turning in his head while he thought over what was said. "Wait, Ava?"

"Yeah?"

"What year is it?"

"Aren't you supposed to be the smart one? 2018 genius."

Panic made it's way onto his face while his hands dropped. "Ava no, it's not."

"What do you mean, 'no'? You can't just change the year cause you want to."

Dawson backed up a step and shook his head. As if on cue, Abby stepped into the room as well. Suddenly it seemed much smaller with the amount of people pilled into it.

She seemed different. Her hair was tied tightly into a bun, and her hair was never up. She wasn't smiling with greeting upon seeing me either. Abigails eyes lowered and Dawson looked at her pleadingly.

"She thinks it's 2018."

"Think? I know. I go to school eh?"

"How old are you?"

"What? That's a dumb question considering we're twins. 15."

"No Ava, you're almost 17. You have amnesia, I just can't figure out how..."

"Amnesia? What the hell did I forget?"

Dawson rubbed the back of his head nervously. "Well... I wouldn't say nothing..."

Abigail spoke up again. "Pretty much everything you need to know. That's all."