No one deserves to be forgotten

Dawsons POV

Beep

My hands trembled as I tried to find a vein in the boys arm. More and more seconds passed between each beep as a reminder of what would come if we couldn't prevent it.

Beep

"6D! Give him the medicine!" 8A yelled, her hands moving at a fast pace as she fiddled with many different machines.

8C was trying to keep a conversation with him, which was very one sided except for the occasional few words. He would snap his fingers infront of the boys eyes every time they would start to drift closed. "Come on, stay with us!"

Beep

Frustration and fear hammered away in my chest and my limbs shake in an attempt to halt my actions. "Damnit!" I gave up on finding a vein, knowing that the boy had just seconds before it was to late.

A small whimper left his lips, causing my heart to pull at how weak it was. I injected all of the medicine into his arm while my eyes flickered from the heart monitor to the boy, then back to his arm. A horribly faded sob hit my ears, followed by unintentionally whispered words. "C-Can you tell Mo thank you?"

"I will Ajax, but you can make it. See?" 8C pointed at the monitor, his eyes widening when he realized that Ajax's heart beat was still slowing rapidly.

Beep

8A glanced sadly at the boy and backed away from all of the wiring, tubing, and screens. She made eye contact with me and shook her head.

"No." I shook my head right back, my hair glued down from panicked sweat. He's still alive, there's a chance. I can't give him more medicine but...

"6D, it's over." I hadn't realized there was a steadily saddening noise in the room until now. The heart monitor showed a flat line. My eyes followed his last heart beat as it slowly disappeared from view.

8C slowly stood straight but kept his eyes on Ajax. They both held sadness in their expressions for a moment before putting on a blank face. 8A pressed a small blue button that was placed in the corner of the room next to the PA speaker. "Chief, we need a few guards in here. Code D26."

No more than a minute or two passed before two guards entered with a white sheet. To my horror, they took Ajax away as if nothing had happened and the doctors started on cleaning the room.

I know they were probably used to losing people, especially children, but pretending like nothing happened doesn't seem right. It might be easier to cope and get back to your job but no one deserves to be forgotten just like that.

My mind flickered back to Ajax's last words. "C-Can you tell Mo thank you?" My attention snapped to 8C. He was about to walk out of the room with a cart of all the supplies they had used in an attempt to save him.

"You have to thank 4M for him you know." He glanced down at the ground and nodded before leaving. I sighed and followed him out, yet taking a different path to Ava's room.

Glancing through the glass window on the door let me know that Ava was ok and super bored. I could tell by her looking at her hands infront of the ceiling for lack of better things to do.

Just as I was about to open the door, someone interrupted me by clearing their throat. I glanced beside me while letting my hand fall off of the door nob.

"Cheif?"

"I... Assumed you would be upset, so I came to give you my condolences as well as my company, but I will leave. Visit with 6A, if you need me you can come to my office." She watched for my reaction for a moment.

My eyebrows furrowed together as I thought over what she said. I opened my mouth before deciding that words weren't needed, and nodded my head. Her eyes bore into mine for a few moments, then she walked away.

Shaking my head out of whatever weird state it was in, I opened the door to great Ava with a smile.

Cheif always knew. It bugged me sometimes, because Abby wasn't very good at reading emotions. It was way easier to hide what I felt from her then anyone else, which I guess was a blessing and a curse.

But now, while my fist hovers infront of Cheifs door, reality sinks in. I am slowly losing everything and everyone important to me. First I lose almost all my family, then my classmates, and slowly but surely I managed to let Abby slip through my fingers.

It all started because of this stupid zombie apocalypse. Whatever or whoever caused it, they'll pay. They took so much from me.

A gasp escaped me as Cheifs door opened and she pulled me in so quickly that it's all I could do. Her eyes told me to refrain from questioning, and I didn't need to be told twice.

"Wha...?"

I needed to be told three times.

Cheif ignored my self explaining question. "It is unfortunate that Ajax passed away."

Is she trying to... comfort me? Is that what that was? "Uh, yes it is?" I'm pretty positive that came out as a question instead of a response. Of course his death is unfortunate, if that's the word you want to use. But that's a really odd way of addressing it.

For some reason, I felt less tense then I usually did in here, so I went and sat on her desk chair. She didn't seem suprised, so I let my mouth ramble like it usually does before I get in trouble.

"I didn't even know the kid that well. I had seen him everyday for the last two days to give him shots, but that's basically it. But I had the chance to save him and I failed." I studied my hands while waiting for the confused response. What I got in return was not what I expected.

"I understand. I am faced with that every day. Due to my position, there could be an army going out to find my brother. If he is even alive that is. But I have to think about every member of the base and follow the rules, just like everyone else."