Chapter Six

Evening August 30th

Thirteen year old Tria was practicing on a dummy when the sound of an arrow whizzing catches her attention over the chatter of the institute. She's been there for six years and she never knew of an archer in the institute. She takes off her gloves and makes her way over to the weapons testing center. Walking in she sees a boy pointing a bow and arrow at a target probably 30 feet away from them. His back was to her, so he didn't notice the audience. He releases the arrow for it to hit dead center.

"I've never met an archer before," She calls out to him. He turns around startled and she walks over to him.

"You're that freaky hybrid, right?" He asks in a snarky tone. "The warlock with the cat eyes is your guardian, so what, does that make you his kitty."

"Hilarious," She says. "But I don't have a catlike warlock mark."

"Then what do you have?" He asks.

"Dragonfly wings," She says.

"Woah," He says. His mother always told him not to trust downworlders, but the hybrid girl in front of her was not what he expected. He takes the chance and holds the bow out to her. "Wanna try it. I think it's easier than a seraph blade."

"Why not," She says and grabs the bow. For a second she thought it was going to burn her, but it surprisingly didn't.

She plants her feet shoulder-width apart and he comes up behind her helping her with the weapon. She knocks an arrow and he helps her pull it back and aim at the target.

"Focus on your breathing," He whispers into her ear. "Like a seraph blade, you are one with the bow. Just breathe in." She does as he says. "Breathe out." She does that as well with aiming the arrow exactly where she wanted it to land. "Now release."

She lets go of the string and the arrow flies. It flies all the way into the target, straight through the other arrow making it split in half.

"Woah," She says and takes a step back into him. Suddenly getting very flustered, she takes a step forward and turning to him, almost hitting him with the bow in the process.

"Careful where you point that thing, kitty," He says and takes the bow.

"I'm guessing you won't be calling me by my real name anytime soon," She laughs.

"I don't know your name actually," he says and puts his bow on a stand.

"Tria," She says and her watch starts to beep. She checks it to see it was time for her to go home for dinner. "Well, I gotta get going, but I really hope we can see more of each other. Maybe we can spar some time? I could show you how easily I can beat you to the ground."

"I'd like to see you try," he says.

"Nah," She says and laughs. "You don't know what you're getting yourself into, Clementine."

Tria's eyes open and she sits up to see she was in her bedroom. Her coat and shirt were gone and she was stuck in a black sports bra and a huge bandage on her right shoulder. The rumbling of the ground and roars of a werewolf put her quickly into a state of alert and she gets out of bed.

Running out of her room, she slides into the living room to see Clary working on a potion and Magnus over the body of a black man who must have been attacked by an alpha and won due to the fun fact that he was alive and trying to break out of Magnus' magic.

"Dad!" She shouts. She runs over to the back of the couch where a table was and pushes everything off of it and climbs on top kneeling over the couch to look down at the werewolf and Magnus. "What can I do to help?"