Chapter 21

XXI. HARD LIQUOR

Louise reached her hand toward Lena, trying to stop her from leaving and asking what was wrong, because it was evident something was. But unfortunately, Lena was faster on her feet than Louise, so she was able to get away from her.

"Jeez." Lou whispered, as she saw Lena dissolve into the crowd. A waiter passed by her carrying a tray of champagne glasses, so she seized the opportunity and traded her empty glass for a refilled one. She took a sip, wondering why was her friend so mad at her. She considered going after her, but quickly shutting the idea down when she remembered you must never throw gasoline to a burning fire before letting it calm down.

Harry found himself zoning out of a phony conversation where he pretended to have an interest in the topic being discussed. His eyes landed on his very best girl friend, swinging a tall glass by herself and asked to be excused from the conversation before joining her.

"Hey." Lou greeted, smiling at Harry. "Who were you talking to?"

"Lady Delilah." Harry responded casually.

Lou chuckled into her glass. "She sounds like a biblical whore. Is she still sleeping with your uncle?"

"Assuming by the jewels adorning her neck and arms, yeah, she is." Harry stated. "Her husband went bankrupt a few months ago, so he pretends to not know about their affair. My uncle pays for everything and they all win." he explained.

"Hm, that's a good strategy actually." Lou confessed. "Wanna go outside for a while? I smuggled something I stole from the kitchens earlier to have some fun." She smirked, lifting the cloth of the table full of appetizers behind them only to reveal bottles of hard liquor and rum under it.

"Why am I actually not surprised?"

•••

"One thing I actually enjoy about this shitty life," Lou slurred, tilting her head back and taking another long sip from the bottle she was holding. "is that you can have sex whenever you want."

Both young Princes were sitting side by side, facing a black lake reflecting the starry night above, the music coming from the castle being heard from the distance.

"I mean," she chuckled. "other ladies must stay pure for their husbands in order to marry. Most of the times. But I'm a Princess. I'm going to marry either way. And if I don't, who cares? I don't need a man."

"Your parents certainly do." Harry responded, setting his bottle aside and leaning back into his hands, pinky separated from the rest of his fingers and eyes looking up at the stars. "Niall tells everyone that I invented The Harvest to find love. Who the fuck just looks at someone and goes: 'oh, that one there, that's the one. I must love that person until the end'? I did it to become King after my father was gone, but I need the person I choose to fall in love with me, it's hard if they don't. She needs to be putty in my hands, that was my mistake with Alyssa. And I won't make it again." He drunkenly confessed, sloping down to the ground. "And it's fun. I have to admit it's the most fun I have every year. The fear in people's faces, the desperation in the atmosphere. It's addictive. And besides, I get all these gorgeous women and no one tells me I can't. Nobles are grateful to throw their daughters over to me, just so we stay in better terms. I'm living the greatest life there is. God it's so hot in here, I feel like my arms are melting. But you get bored after a while, you know? The girl is boring, her life is boring, she is boring in bed, her lands are boring, her titles are shit, so I just let her go. And she's gone just this fast." He snapped his fingers. "I mean, you met all of them and you were the one who told me they weren't good enough for me and that they were little bitchy snobs."