Chapter 18

XVIII. KINGS OF MONACO

The ride to the Kingdom of Camden, a nearby kingdom where the dinner party was held, was mostly quiet. The only sounds to be heard were the thumping of the carriage wheels against rocks that stood out on the road, the horses' hoofs as they galloped and the soothing sound of Harry's breathing - until he decided to break the ice. Lena and him have not established a decent conversation since their kiss, and Harry did not want the silence to go on forever.

He looked over at Lena, who was sitting next to him, admiring the view outside of the carriage.

"Did you like it?" He asked.

"What?" Lena returned the question, turning her head to look into Harry's eyes, even though she knew exactly what was that question about, she just needed to hear him saying it out loud.

"The tiara I got  you." Harry responded. "It was custom made. It goes with your eyes."

Lena looked down, sheepishly smiling. "It's beautiful, Harry. Thank you so much."

"It's nothing, really."

Harry looked down at their hands and noticed how close they were, only a few inches away from each other. Slowly, he started to reach out his hand so that his fingers could touch Lena's.

Just a light graze of their fingers, that's all he wanted. To meet her skin.

Too bad that Lena removed her hand from the seat and brought it to clean the fog from the window just when his fingers were millimeters away from her touch.

"Is that the castle?" Lena asked.

"No, that's actually Lou's summer house."

"Sorry, her what?"

"It's where she spends her summers with her parents. She's been staying there the whole summer. You didn't think she was staying in our castle, did you?"

Lena blushed. "But... Niall-"

"That's a different thing. Niall is my best friend. My parents built a room just for him when we were little, so that he could stay with us whenever he wanted. Not many people know this, but he has been receiving threats at home, so I took him as a refugee. Lou just comes over to visit, and because she has nothing better to do. Niall came to find shelter and safety, and that is what I gave him."

"Do you know who's threatening him?"

"We don't. We have no idea. His family doesn't have local enemies, and the threats are coming from the inside, so they are clueless. And please don't let him know that I told you, it's supposed to be a secret."

"Don't worry, Harry. I won't."

Harry smiled at Lena, and looked out his side of the window. The atmosphere felt heavy, and the foggy rain pouring down from the grey skies above made the day appear gloomy, but that did not stop the Prince from feeling especially happy that day. He did not know why, but he felt happy and excited.

•••

"Prince Harold, escorted by Princess Lena, of the Kingdom of Adwick." the sound echoed throughout the reception from the top of the stairs Lena and Harry were standing on, before they started to descend, hand in hand, heading towards the crowd of people waiting for them.