4

Alyss was sitting in a room, her mind whirring. The past day had been packed with everything! They had finally reached this 'Imladris' at around noon, and after that it was overwhelming to say the least. The girl allowed herself a smirk when she thought of Halt. He never did like being the center of attention, Gilan as well.

At first they were taken to Lord Elrond's study and properly introduced. Then Halt took over and they talked for a long time about their theories and the different worlds. Alyss shuddered, the thought was just too bizarre, even if it was happening to her now.

After that it had been a whirlwind of greetings, food, song, and so many new things Alyss barely had any time to wonder at them anymore. Finally one of the twins, much to her chagrin she could not discern which, showed her to her room, informed her that Halt was across her hall, Gilan next to her and that he, his brother, and legolas were in the same rooms one floor up, and then took his leave of her.

Since then Alyss had been sitting on her bed, trying to sort out all her thoughts. She was bone tired, but knew instinctively that she would get no rest that night; there was simply too much to think about. Standing, she walked out onto the little balcony that was in her room and gazed out into the night.

The moonlit forest stretched before her, and the soft roar of the waterfall filled the air. Alyss sighed, this place was so serene and peaceful, she thought. Looking up she gazed at the innumerable stars, wondering if they were the same or different than the ones in her home. Suddenly extremely sad she dropped her gaze, looking around at the courtyard below her. Smiling softly she saw that there were people still up. A lone figure walked through the lush gardens the starlight caught in her dark hair. Off to the other side two others were pouring over scrolls, enjoying the fresh night air while completing their work. Still further off she could see a group of young looking elves-you never could tell age with these folk-singing in the trees. The song seemed not to be of words, but rather woven from pure emotion, and the lilting sound swirled around Alyss, settling in her soul though she did not understand the words being sung. Breathing in the calm and peace, she sighed deeply, letting go of the worries and fears, at least for tonight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Will sighed, looking out at the night. The past day had been a positive whirlwind! He glanced back at the two elves who were sitting with Crowley and Evanlyn on the lawn, still unsure of how he felt about them being elves from a different world. The initial shock had been jarring to say the least, and he was still trying to wrap his head around the fact. A pace or two away Aragorn was sparring with Horace, both delighted to meet a kindred spirit and fairly well matched in skill, though the Gondorian had an edge on the young man through experience and speed. Speaking of kindred spirits, Glorfindel and Crowley had hit it off after the Ranger Commandant got over his skepticism. Both were youthful in spirit and loved a good joke, even if they were occupying a role of leadership and seriousness.

Will watched as Glorfindel, Crowley and Evanlyn exploded into a fit of laughter, the elvenking who Will was beginning to see never laughed much at all, smirking softly. Just then Thranduil rose elegantly, moving back up towards the house. As he did he looked at Will, the wise and searching gaze-Thranduil never bothered to veil his immortal eyes, reasoning that the unsettling effect on mortals was beneficial in his position-making Will drop his own eyes to the floor.

Thranduil paused beside the boy, immediately noticing the way Will avoided his gaze. Smirking softly the elvenking cleared his throat. Will looked up at the tall elf, ill at ease.

"You're brooding." Thranduil said simply, turning to stand beside the young man, and looking out at the moonlit lawn with him.

Will, slightly shocked at the statement struggled to respond. "I'm not," he said quickly.