6

A/N ok, hello, I decided to give anyone who for some reason still wants this story the last bit I had written already. This is like...half a chapter and the beginning of a scene, but that is as far as I got. Also thought I should have an "end" bc every so often a new person will stumble across this and I feel bad leaving it so open ended. (seriously, something dies inside me every time I see someone else put this dormant story on their reading list) So sorry for letting anyone down...

So to answer the pressing question: no I will not be finishing this story

I'm sad too, but the main reason is that I don't have the characters anymore. There wasn't ever a solid outline and I was just playing with the characters in each others' worlds. However, even back then and definitely now I don't know the Ranger's Apprentice characters very well. People rightfully pointed out that I was focusing on the Lotr side because that's what I knew better. I only read RA once, and by now it's been years. So...I don't know the characters and it's very hard to write for characters you don't understand anymore.

So do with this what you will, thanks to everyone who liked this little story <3 

Legolas was troubled. He looked down, not really seeing the ground in front of him, his mind miles away in the beloved forests of his home. But they were not bright anymore, not green nor full of song. Pictures flashed before his mind, images of blood and death and spiders, elves he'd known his whole life dead or dying. The others had gone while he lingered in the courtyard, and away from other eyes he could not maintain a proud or confidant facade. The young prince's imagination ran wild, producing horrifying image after horrifying image and at the center of it all was him, helplessly stuck and useless. He jumped as he felt a hand on his shoulder, looked around wildly before meeting Halt's gaze.

"Are you alright?" The ranger asked, stepping a respectful pace back and looking up at the elf. Legolas nodded, but convinced neither of them. He struggled to pull together some confidence, attempting to emulate his father who was always so proud and unmovable and strong; everything a good king should be. He failed miserably. With a soft sigh he turned and placed his palm against a nearby tree, drawing soft comfort from the warm bark. The Willow bent its leaves towards him in response, the soft whispering sound they produced helping to calm his fears.

"Thank you," Legolas said at length, looking back slightly at the ranger, who stood patiently behind him.

"For what?" Halt returned.

"For helping us. Not many would ride willingly to a battle in which they have no obligation. It is very brave." He averted his eyes, looking up into the willow tree.

"It's what rangers do," Halt said dismissively. "We're glad to be of service." He paused, his eyes softening. He understood the immense pressure that must lie upon those shoulders. "You should get some rest. I take it we will leave early tomorrow, and ride fast."

Legolas shook his head. "No, I do not believe I shall find rest this night." He glanced back at the ranger, dropping his hand from the tree. "Do not worry for me," he said with a faint smile.

Halt regarded him carefully, then smiled, or smiled as much as Halt could be expected to. "I don't."

Legolas looked up, surprised at how much the words were comforting coming from a near stranger. But he knew the confident gleam in his eye, the proud and self-assured way he carried himself. Yes, this ranger was not so different than another that he knew.