Gloomy Reunion

"Thank you for flying with Airline International."

I heard the intercom say as we exited the plane.

I quickly ran to the bathroom to change and freshen up from being on the plane.

After I changed, I walked back out to get my bags

It's been so long since I visited any of my relatives in Baytown, Texas.

Yep, this was supposed to be an exciting moment for me, but why did I feel so anxious and nervous.

I dragged my bag off the luggage claim and looked around for someone to be holding up a sign of 'welcome home' or something.

I sighed as I continued to not see anyone.

I sat down on a bench and pulled out a Twix, the left one to be exact.

I ate it as I watched overly excited people greet their loved ones that had probably been gone for so long. Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a 'normal' family that would fight over you or hold signs for you when you came back home.

Home. Where I grew up with my two sisters and my mother. If you want to call her that. She had caused me so much emotional pain, and left me with some emotional and mental baggage, that I sadly haven't let go of yet for years. All those years of torment and neglect...Home?

That wasn't home...that was hell.

I pushed those thoughts aside as a tall man with a brown cowboy hat came into view with a jacket in tow. He was heading towards the exit door which led to the parking lot. I looked back towards the place where relatives and friends stood, but didn't recognize a single face.

Maybe I should wait for my sister. I  don't want her to come up here and I'm not here.

I looked back at him and he was putting his bags on the back of a red truck. I didn't want to be stranded here either.

I quickly looked back at the waiting area and continued to not recognize anyone.

What if he doesn't let me ride with him?

I'll just offer gas money, and maybe he'll say yes.

I looked back at the place once more where I thought I'd see Sharon and maybe my other family members, but that figures. They are all probably mad because I was acting like I was better, and hadn't contacted them in years.

I stood up in my heels and grabbed my bags, and walked quickly outside. He was wiping off his side mirrors on his truck, when I walked up to him.

I stood there waiting for him to notice me, but he continued to wipe his truck mirrors off thoroughly, until he cleared his throat.

"What do you want?" he asked, with a hint of bitterness in his voice. He moved on to wipe off his windows.

I walked up closer to his truck.