Sister, sister

It's been two weeks since I've been at my sister's house. She had to rush Calvin to the hospital two times in one week, that they decided to just keep him for awhile to keep a check on him. Sharon hasn't taken it well, she's basically lived there for three days...in agony and probably feels like she is in a nightmare that keeps repeating over and over.

I've tried to help her while balancing unscheduled meetings and trying to avoid my mother and her phone calls at all cost. I wasn't ready to face the feign, but I know she will be seething when she sees me, which will probably be soon considering I'm at the hospital.

I rubbed Sharon's back supportively while she stared off into the distance like a zombie. I could tell the stress was taking a toll on her by the bags under her eyes, and the fact that she hasn't changed clothes since Monday. She wouldn't listen to me, doctors, or the nurses that begged her to go home for a little while. I never seen her like this. It was like she had an ounce of strength left inside of her.

I sighed.

I'm just thankful that at least she would eat when I gave her something.

I heard heels clicking down the hall, coming towards us, and I knew who it was.

I closed my eyes, hoping she would go away, but I know my mother better.

"Well, how is she?" she asked me. I looked up and she had on casual clothes today. A pair of denim jeans with a nude ruffled blouse and nude open toe high-heels, along with a long light brown shawl covered in fur.

"She's alive." I replied.

My mother exhaled before bending down in her heels beside Sharon. "Sweetie, I understand...I some way know how it is when you don't know if your child is going to make it or not, but sweetheart I need you, and Calvin needs you to take care of yourself, please, you need to be energized whenever they decide to release him." she said, rubbing Sharon's back.

Sharon looked at her and nodded.

She stood up with my mom and hugged her.

Why was it that my words weren't enough? She obviously listened to mom's advice despite that I told her over and over the exact same thing.

"Okay, I'll just drive home for two hours then I'll be back." she said, walking off down the hallway.

The noise in the hall dropped to pen-drop silence when she exited.

She didn't sit beside me, but she continued to stand, glaring at me. "So, you see you can't avoid me forever, I just was going to call to tell you I was sorry about how our discussion went." she said. I rolled my eyes. "So you're apologizing for how it went, but not for what actually happened to me?" I asked seriously. I looked down at my hands and didn't notice how it had started to shake.

She flipped her hair behind her, holding her hands together in front of her.  "Listen dear, there's one thing I need you to understand...and I'll only say it once more, I did nothing wrong...and I'm not apologizing for anything you can not prove, I just don't believe you, if it was true why didn't you tell me when it happened?" she snapped.

I covered my face with my shaking hands, she was really making me angry, but I saw no point in answering her or arguing. I know that she will never admit or own up to what happened, and this was not the place or the time to have another mother-daughter feud.

I was thankful when I heard someone else step up to us. I looked up and expected the doctor, but it was not a doctor...it was Valerie.

My mother looked up in shock and stared at her like she was a ghost.

Valerie was naturally tall with a slightly curvy body shape, but unlike me and my sister she was a much darker brown than us, but it beautifully brought out her green eyes. She looked like she was ready to walk on the runway with that long gray jacket that reached her ankles. It was open though and she had on a green cottony shirt with dark jeans.