Chapter Two

"Daddy look!" Cora squealed.

She pointed frantically at the creatures moving in the shimmering water far below.

"I'm not sure sweetheart. Why don't ya ask Uncle Jack?" her daddy replied gently.

Cora turned, her hair blowing in her face despite the hat pinning it back. Jack sat next to them on a wooden bench, drawing.

"Uncle Jack?" she asked. He looked up from his sketchbook and saw Coras' little curious face.

"Uncle Jack, what are those?" she questioned.

He looked down to where she was pointing. The waves were calm and the animals disturbance was easily noticed. He smiled.

"Dolphins, Cora. Kinda like wales but much smaller and they leap and dance with one another."

Cora grinned. Dolphins. They were beautiful. So carefree and harmonious with one another. She watched them happily as they frolicked in the waves.

Jack squinted through the suns fierce rays as he sketched in the final details on the drawing. It showed little Cora held up by her daddy and pointing, her face an image of pure delight. He frowned. He wanted to start over and do a better one. That was his problem he supposed, he always judged what he drew harshly despite positive responses. He rubbed his fore head and stared absentmindedly ahead of him. A movement from the 1st class section catches his eye and he watched as a young lady appeared. Her hair was a fountain of glowing red curls and her beauty is clear. But, beneath the riches and the silk and satin outfit, Jack saw sadness and pain in her eyes. He couldn't help himself, he knew she was special and he couldn't stop looking at her. He stared; oblivious to Tommy and Fabrizio gawking and laughing at him.

"Ah, forget it boyo." Tommy turned to him. "You'd as like have angels fly out o' yer arse than get next to the likes of her!"

Cora turned and looked up to where Jack was staring. Through the light of the setting sun, she saw a beautiful lady standing there. She looked pretty but unhappy. This made Cora puzzled and she screwed up her face in thought. She was curious when the lady made eye contact with Jack, then looked away, then made eye contact again.

Cora frowned as a stern looking man came up behind the pretty lady and grabbed her by the arm. She flinched as he spoke harshly to her. She couldn't hear what he said but she could tell he wasn't a nice person. The lady retorted angrily before storming off, leaving the tall dark haired man to stand at the railing looking bitter. Served him right smirked Cora. Still, she felt a pang of sadness as the lady left. She wished she could help her but how? She felt sorry for the lady despite her riches and comfort. Cora knew she'd rather ruff it on the streets and be happy than be adorned with jewels but live a sad and tormented life.

Her daddy shook her gently.

"Come on Cora darlin'. It's gettin' late."

Cora nodded. She could feel her eyes growing heavier by the minute. She let her daddy put her down and she slipped her little hand into his and huddled against him, growing warmer through his body heat. She made to leave but a voice called after her.

"Hey Cora, don't you wanna see your drawing?"

Cora had completely forgotten. She rushed back and Jack tore it gently out of his worn sketchbook and handed it to her. Cora stared at it. She had never been drawn. She couldn't take her eyes off the paper.

"Well, I must say that's a mighty fine drawin'" her daddy remarked. "Say thank you Cora."

Cora grinned and hugged Jack. "Thank you Uncle Jack!"

"That's all right little Cora. You were a pleasure to draw." He replied grinning.

She beamed at him and giggled.

Her daddy tugged on her hand and she went off waving.

"Bye Uncle Jack, bye Tommy, by Fabrizio, " she called as she wandered off back into the depths of the ship.

...

Cora sat back in her chair, rubbing her eyes. She felt warm and cosy after another filling meal. Unfortunately, she also felt a little sick. She wasn't used to that amount of food and she couldn't stop eating despite how full she felt. The chatter and the noise of the room comforted her and slowly lulled her into a deep sleep. She didn't notice as her daddy picked her up gently and carried her out of the room. She didn't hear the rowdy music coming from down a set of stairs. She didn't notice as her mummy carefully changed her clothes and tucked her into bed. She turned in her sleep. Feeling the softness of the sheet. Fast asleep and dreaming she smiled. Full, warm, happy and dreaming...what more could she want?

...

"Daddy!" Cora screamed.

She hugged the sheets tightly and reached for her doll. Struggling to find it in the darkness of the room. Her heart was pounding and she was sweating like mad. She snuffled and shook as tears rolled down her frightened face.

"Cora? Cora darlin' whas wrong? Cora?!"

Her daddy gently lifted her down and held her close between him and her mummy. Cora sobbed and buried her face in his shoulder.

Her nigtmare started to come back to her. She didn't remember it so clearly but she remembered the screams as the fire took hold. Memories never die, not even the bad ones. They just come back and haunt you every night as you lie vulnerable, dreaming. Her parents knew what was wrong. They never discussed it but it was there in the back of their minds. Cora had been trapped as the building burnt. She had been lucky to survive and only was only just saved in time. She had seen people burn and she had never recovered. She was only three at the time but some things never leave you. Cora would wake up, believing she was trapped, feeling the heat, dreading the fire. All they could do was hold her and tell her she was safe. They felt so helpless. So useless. What could they do? Damage can never be undone.

Cora gradually stopped crying. She forced the images out of her mind. She didn't want to think about it. She hated that she could still remember it all so vividly. She clung to her daddy as he rocked her gently and did his best to soothe her. She reached for her drawing and traced the pencil lines as best she could in the darkness. She held it close before returning it to its place under her pillow. Cora clutched her doll and allowed herself to close her eyes. She envisioned the sunset and the dolphins and Titanic as she ploughed through the vastness of the oceans waters. She snuffled a little longer before drifting off into a thankfully dreamless sleep.