Chapter Three

The next day, there was a buzz in the air. No one knew for certain what had happened but it was the talk of 3rd class. Shuffling along through the crowded dining hall at breakfast, Cora heard brief snatches of conversations.

"Something Dawson I think..."

"Well I never..."

"Saw it with me own eyes I did..."

"Shoulda let the rich ass jump..."

Cora began to feel uncomfortable. Dawson. Could it be Jack? What was everyone talking about? What did they mean...jump? She sat on the rough wooden chair and stared at her bowl. She fiddled with her spoon, all too aware of the chatter around her. Her young mind raced. It seemed she would never be able to figure out what happened.

Later however, Tommy was all too pleased to account his version over to her.

"Well little Cora, I dunno much but I'm sure I can lay it all out for you to understand."

Fabrizio glanced nervously at him. Tommy gave him a shrug back. Cora looked up at them, a spectator in their conversation of nods, shrugs and looks.

Eventually they noticed her and couldn't help but chuckle as little Cora looked up at them expectantly.

"Okay Cora. Well, someone from 3rd class, dunno who. Some guy, Fabri 'ere is convinced it was Jacks spellbound attempt at introducing himself to that red haired rich kid. Anyway, some guy apparently saved a 1st class girls life. Some people are saying she slipped and he saved her, heck; some say he talked her outa jumpin." Tommy explained as best he could.

Cora considered the story. It was difficult to know what was truth and what was fantasy. She shrugged to herself and turned round to walk away. Grown ups over complicated things to extremes. She skipped off down the cramped corridor to find someone to play with.

...

The cool sea air gently breezed through the 3rd class common room. Steerage passengers of all colours, accents and dialogues sat on rough wooden benches, talking and laughing, playing poker, little children chasing each other with alarmed parents running after them scolding them. Cora sat comfortably on Jack's lap. She watched his hands as they sketched in each and every tiny detail with flowing movements that mesmerised her. Tommy sat nearby, flicking through Jack's sketchbook, remarking at the incredible accuracy. Cora looked around, her eyes scanning the throng until she spotted Fabrizio. Oh Fabrizio, determined to not even let the inability to speak a girls language stop him. He was attempting to communicate with a Norwegian girl with blond hair. They were giggling, neither could speak a word of the others language and yet there they were, laughing and having a good time with one another. Cora giggled as Fabrizio resorted to overexpressive hand movements to communicate. Jack shifted a bit and Cora tuned her attention back to the drawing.

She could hear Tommy commenting every ten seconds, " these are ruddy good, " in a disbelieving tone.

She lent against Jack and began to feel a little tired. She was almost sleeping when she heard the gasps. She didn't think anything of it at first but she could sense something was happening so she sat up a little, rubbing her eyes. She stared in shock. Was Shen an angel? Who was the beautiful girl stood right there? Then Cora recognised her, the girl she had seen, the sad one. Her red hair was vibrant and glowing and she was the image of beauty, her posture and her clothing were immaculate. But what was a first class girl like here doing in 3rd class?! She thought she wouldn't find out as her daddy came along.

" Come along Cora, say goodbye to Uncle Jack."

Cora sighed and reluctantly slipped off Jack's lap and took her daddy's hand. " Goodbye Uncle Jack, " she said waving to him.

He smiled sweetly back at her, " Bye Cora. "

Cora turned and walked most of the way out of the room but then stopped and looked back one more time.

" Hey, " Fabrizio leaned over and nudged Jack who looked up. Cora followed his gaze and found that he was staring at the girl, and she was staring back. Cora thought she would leave but she smiled, a truly happy smile, and walked over to Jack. Cora gasped as she asked Jack something she couldn't quite hear and Jack, looking rather sweet and silly as he blushed furiously, got up immediately and followed her out and up the stairs onto the deck.

Cora's mind pondered over the events as her daddy led her back to their cabin. She couldn't make head or tail of it. It was just strange.

She climbed up onto her bunk and lay down.

" Best get some rest darlin', we're gonna stay up tonight and ya don't wanna be too out of it, " her Daddy gently told her.

Cora nodded and yawned before closing her eyes and drifting off. Thankfully her sleep was void of dreams and no memories of fire plagued her. She slept soundly the gentle lull of the ship cutting through the water guided her deeper and deeper into a warm sleep.

Sorry I haven't posted another chapter yet. Ive got writers block an have no idea how I am going to write the next chapter. It will be about the 3rd class party scene which is just too complicated to write and I have no idea how to do it. I will try to write an post it by Wednesday but it just depends if I have any good ideas of how to write it. Just a quick thank you to anyone who has read and or voted on this book. It really means a lot to me and is very encouraging when facing problems like how the flip and I meant to write this chapter?!

Hello. I'm back again. I'm really sorry for not writing another chapter yet. I am in the process of writing it though...YIPPEE!!!!!!!! It should be up by Tuesday.....hopefully :)