Chapter 4

Before Cora even entered the room...she could hear the vibrant Irish jig playing. The place was crowded with cheering dancing people, skipping around the room. A grin spread across Cora's face and she began to jump about excitedly.

" All righ' Cora darlin', lets all get over to this 'ere table, then we can do a bit a dancin', " her daddy shouted over the noise.

He lifted Cora up onto his shoulders and jostled towards the table before setting her down on it with her dolly. The music grew and grew to a vibrant crescendo. The smoky room was alive with stomping feet and wild cheers and uproars from the merry crowd. Cora was entranced by the vast movement surrounding her and swayed along to the beat, tapping her worn shoes on the hard wooden chair.

" Would her highness care to dance? " Jack's voice rang out from behind her and she flung her head round to see him putting on fake airs and the most preposterous impression of the upper class he could. Cora giggled, so did the beautiful lady standing behind him. Cora gazed up at her, she was definitely 1st class....wasn't she the lady who Uncle Jack was staring at. She shrugged nonchalantly to herself; then jumped up, carefully placing her doll on the table, before rushing to dance with Uncle Jack.

.....

They danced around in small circles, Cora standing on Jack's feet having the time of her life. He took her gently by the hand and spun her round and round. Cora grew lightheaded and had to stand still for a minute, the whole room spinning before her. She laughed and continued to spin round and round, getting dizzier and dizzier and more bubbly and giggling by the second. Eventually; she slowed and began to yawn slightly. She stood on Jack's feet again, her eyes half closed yet she still felt so awake.

" I'm gonna dance with her now, okay Cora? " Jack led her back to the table and gestured towards the beautiful lady sitting there. Cora felt slightly sad and a hot feeling burned in the pit of their stomach. As Jack helped the other girl up and got into position to dance with her, Cora felt herself grow increasingly jealous and disappointed. Jack looked over at her, chuckled, and smiled encouragingly.

" You're still my best girl Cora! "

The light happy feeling began to return to Cora and she felt a wide grin spread over her tiny face. She was still his best girl! She felt her whole body begin to glow with pride and she bounced back to the table and sat contentedly cuddling her precious doll. She watched the pair dance. They looked so happy with one another, so smiling and laughing. She wondered if they were in love. She didn't know much about love being very young but they looked so perfect together. From such different walks of life and yet so perfect together. She smiled, sighed, and cuddled her doll closer.

.....

What seemed like hours later; a warm gentle hand laid itself on Cora's shoulder. She looked up, rubbing her sleepy eyes.

" Come on Cora darlin', lets go get some rest eh? "

Cora nodded her sleepy head and allowed her daddy to lead her back to their cabin, lift her into her warm bed, and tuck her in under the sheets. She closed her tired eyes and drifted into a thankfully dreamless sleep, awaiting the next days adventures...

Authors note : HOORAY!!! I finally published another chapter.....it may have taken a month or so but still.......HOORAY!!!!!