Chapter Two

Pic of Hayden.

We're all sitting in the basement trying to pick a movie to watch. I don't care what movie we watch because I'll probably be going home straight after it ends anyway. I sit down next to Scarlett and, of course, Hayden goes to sit down next to his girlfriend. I wonder how they started talking and how they made it official. I wonder if they already hooked up. I shake my thoughts out of my head when Scarlett asks one of us to get some snacks and drinks.

She has a kitchenette and bar in her basement, so whenever she or her parents have company they don't have to walk all the way upstairs to get things. I think it's quite convenient and I wish I had a kitchenette in my basement. All I have are four walls, a couch, and a flatscreen TV. Though, I guess that's all a family of three really need. I'm an only child—which can be quite boring sometimes—but my mama and dad spoil me from time to time, so I can't complain too much. Sometimes I wonder how it would be to have a sibling. Most of my friends with siblings say they wish they were the only child. I always laugh and tell them they need to wish otherwise.

"I'll get them." I say when I realize no one is going to offer. I lazily get off the couch and make my way to the kitchenette area—which is located behind the lounge area.

I take sodas out the fridge and a bunch of snacks out of the cabinets. I don't know how I'm going to carry this all over there.

"Need some help?" Hayden walks up to me with a small smile on his face.

I guess my problem is solved now.

"Yeah, thanks." I nod my head and push half of the sodas towards him.

I discreetly watch how his arms flex as he grabs the sodas, then a couple of the snacks. This boy is a snack himself. The way his veins pop out of his muscular arms. The way there is light stubble on his face. The way his curly, black hair frames his face. I know the guy is taken, but I honestly can't help myself right now. His girlfriend is looking at the television screen, so I can stare at him all I want, right? It's not like I'm going to flirt with him or anything because that would be wrong.

"Did you hear what I said?" He says and I lightly shake my head.

"No, sorry. What'd you say?" I was too busy checking you out.

"I think you should grab some napkins." He nods his head towards the napkins.

I take the whole paper towel roll.

"Or that works too." He laughs.

"What?" I ask with an innocent look on my face.

"I said grab some, not the whole thing." He chuckles.

"Well, the more the better." I shrug my shoulders.

"Come on guys, the movie is starting!" Scarlett says.

I go to turn off the kitchenette light at the same time as Hayden and our fingers accidentally brush against each other. I'm glad I'm black and he can't see the blush forming on my cheeks because it is definitely there. I just touched a hot guy, what isn't there to blush about?

"Sorry." He mumbles.

"It's cool." I say nonchalantly and turn off the light.

We go back into the lounge area and place the snacks on the coffee table. I sit back down on the couch next to Scarlett and watch the beginning of the movie.

The lights are down all the way and the only light in the room is the light illuminating from the television screen.  My eyes freely wander to Hayden's figure just for the simple fact that I can't stop thinking about him—or more about how cute he is because I don't really know him. He has one arm wrapped around Sabrina's shoulder and the other draped across her hip bone. His hand is on top of her behind. I can't help but imagine if that were me and not her. I haven't had a boyfriend since freshman year, so that must be nice. Or maybe I need to just mind my own business and watch the movie.

It's just that all the guys I know are either taken, stuck on an ex, or just completely out of the question. No one has caught my eye or stolen my heart. I'm patiently waiting on it, too. I'm sort of old fashioned. I never really go after a boy; I let him chase after me. I never make the first move, partly because I want them to or I'm just too stupid to realize if they like me or not. Boys also confuse the hell out of me, so I can go without dating one if I have to. There's just so much work that comes with being in a relationship.

When Hayden looks at me, I quickly look away. I don't want to seem like that creepy chick that keeps staring at him, even though I am that creepy chick. After that, I keep my eyes trained on the screen for the rest of the movie. I know he said he hopes that we will see each other when school starts, but I don't. I want to save myself the embarrassment. I'm really not that cool anyway. I have a lot of friends and I always hang out with them, but I do have a boring side to me. I like to snuggle up in my bed and read hopeless romantic novels. I like to watch home designs shows and imagine how I'll decorate my first apartment.

Soon the credits are rolling and everyone gets up to leave. I offer to help Scarlett clean up the small mess we made, but she declines and say she'll do it all herself or get her maid to do it in the morning. I personally don't know why she has a maid. Her family is perfectly capable of cleaning this house by themselves, but that's none of my business though.

"Hey, where's the bathroom?" Sabrina asks Scarlett.

"Down the hall there." Scarlett points to the hallway.

"Alright, I have to pee. Be right back." She says to no one in particular and makes her way to the bathroom.

"I'm gonna go walk everyone out." Scarlett says. "Kelly, can you stay down here until they're done? You can walk out with them. They haven't been here before."

I want to tell her no and that it doesn't take a genius to walk up the stairs and out the front door, but I just nod my head.

"So." Hayden says when we're alone. "I saw you looking at me."

"Boy, I was not looking at you." I laugh, even though he is dead right.

"It's okay." He runs a hand through his hair and chuckles. "I'm pretty good looking."

"And I'm even better looking." I toss my hair over my shoulder.

Then, we both look at each other and break out into laughter. No, we don't know what's so funny, but we laugh anyway. It sort of feels natural to talk to him like this. I don't know how to explain it, but my words roll off my tongue without any problem and his seem to do the same. He does seem like a cool guy, since I can laugh with him and he's not too serious.

"What's so funny?" Sabrina asks, as she enters the room again.

"Nothing." Hayden's laugh slowly dies down.

"We can go now." She says and starts walking upstairs.

"What's wrong with her? We were just laughing." I furrow my eyebrows at Hayden.

"I don't know." He shrugs his shoulders and sighs.

It's none of my business, so I just walk upstairs after Sabrina.