Chapter Four

Picture of Sabrina.

I walk into third hour, which is AP Spanish. Everyone has posted their schedule on social media, and unfortunately for me I don't know anyone in this class. All of my friends either has Spanish another hour or they are taking a different class. I'm not upset because sometimes I like it when I don't have any friends in my classes. It makes me pay attention much more and I tend to have better grades.

Most teachers on the first day of school have an assigned seating chart, which I find completely useless. Why don't they just let us sit where we want? They always say it is their way of remembering everyone's names better, but they are going to have the whole year to do that anyway. I just hope I don't get placed next to an annoying person, or one that always cheats and never does any of their work.

The class barely has anyone in it; there are a few people sitting at their assigned seat already. The bell had just rung from last hour, so we still have five minutes to get to our next class. We only have five minutes for a passing period, which is not enough time. How were we supposed to use the bathroom, go to our locker, and make it to our next class on time with only five minutes to do all of it?

I look at the assigned seating chart on the board and my eyes come across a familiar name and face.

Hayden.

Hayden is in this class with me? I was fine before, but now I'm feeling all anxious and giddy at the same time. Does my hair look okay? Is my breath stinky, or do I need to get a piece of gum? I hate it how I can just think of him and get all nervous. He is a taken man, and clearly my brain is having a hard time deciphering that. All I can do is imagine being the girl he wants, but it will never happen. I can't be the only girl who imagines what it would be like for the hot guy with a girlfriend to actually want her instead.

Thankfully, Hayden sits on the other side of the classroom. I don't think I can handle being next to him, so maybe the assigned seats aren't too bad after all. I look for my seat and sit down, playing on my phone until the bell rings. I haven't even noticed how many students have filed into the classroom.

Throughout the entire hour I have to pretend like I don't know Hayden is in the classroom. I don't even look his way once. I am probably silly for freaking out about having a hot guy that I know in my class while he probably isn't even thinking anything about me. I tend to do things like that a lot.

When class ends, I grab my backpack and join the beeline that is forming by the door. The teachers hate it when we line up at the door, but they eventually stopped pestering us about it and let us do it anyway. It's not like they want to see us any longer than they have to.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and I already know who it is before I turn around. I would have been pretty stupid not to know.

"Hey, Kelly." Hayden grins. "I'm glad I have somebody I know in this class. Makes it more bearable."

"Yeah, I guess so." I nod my head.

The bell rings and we all leave the classroom. I expect Hayden to go to lunch because I remember him saying that he has fourth hour lunch. However, he continues to walk beside me with a stupid smile on his face.

"Don't you have lunch?" I raise my eyebrows.

"I do, but I'll walk with you for a little bit." He says. "After all, I do need your number, if I'm gonna give you a ride home."

"Oh, yeah!" I mentally face palm myself. "How did we forget about that this morning?"

"I don't know, I guess it slipped our minds." He shrugs his shoulders.

"Here, hold on." I pull out my phone from the side of my backpack. "What's yours?"

He tells me his number and I save his contact in my phone under the name of Hayden. I normally put people's last names behind their first name, but I don't know his yet. I send him a text, telling him that it's my number, so he'll have it.

"Thanks. So, how's the first day treating you?" He asks.

"I'm ready to go already. Senioritis already kicking in and we haven't even done anything yet." I laugh.

"Tell me about it." He chuckles. "I hate how they always go over guidelines and rules, like we haven't been doing that on the first day of school our whole lives."

"Oh Hayden, but we must know all the consequences and regulations." I gasp, pretending to be a teacher who takes the rules too seriously.

"You're weird." He looks at me for a second and starts smiling.

"I know." I say proudly. "Makes me unique."

"What's your next class?" He raises his eyebrows.

"Advanced Writing Skills." I say. My dumb self almost says 'what about you' before I remind myself that he's going to lunch. He just makes me that nervous. Ironically enough, I'm making my way through this conversation.

"I'm taking honors English. Bad decision, I feel like we're going to have so much work this semester."

"I had the choice, but that's why I ain't take it." I laugh. "I hate doing work."

I notice that we're nearing my destination: advanced writing skills. Just a few more steps and we'll be outside of my classroom. I don't want this conversation with Hayden to end. We're actually talking to each other like we're friends and it makes me feel good. I just like the idea of talking to him in general.

"Well, this is my class." I say, stopping in front of the classroom. "So, I guess I'll see you later."

"Yeah, I'll just text you my parking spot and you can meet me out there." He waves. "See ya later."