1: Would You Like A Medal?

^^ Mel ^^

"I'm going to murder you. Slowly and painfully," I grumbled into the phone.

"Well good morning to you too!" My best friend chirped back at me.

I groaned. "What do you want?"

She paused, and I suddenly realised the point of this wake-up call. "Well, Tia called in sick, so it's just me. You can have Saturday off if you work today. Please?" She begged.

"The whole of Saturday off?" I confirmed.

"Yes, all day. I only need you for a few hours today. Robbie is coming in at four, so it's only until then. Can you do it?"

I sighed, but this opportunity was too good to miss. I'd worked every Saturday for the last few weeks. "Fine. I'll be there in half an hour." I didn't wait for a reply before hanging up and throwing my phone onto the bed.

It was forty minutes later that I finally stumbled through the door of the cafe. My heart dropped as I saw how busy it was. That really wasn't going to make the pounding in my head any easier to deal with. I dropped my bag in the staff room and made my way to the counter where Shelby, my boss and best friend, was standing with a smug grin on her face.

"Good morning sunshine! Late night, was it?" She laughed, flicking the sunglasses I had yet to remove.

"Just a bit. I had about an hour of sleep, and I'm ninety percent sure I'm still drunk." I sat on the stool behind the register and leaned my forehead on the cool counter-top. I didn't move until a large cup of strong black coffee was placed next to me.

"Here. Drink it quick. We've got customers," Shelby told me.

I looked up and groaned when I saw who was coming through the door. Bulldogs MC - leather cuts, Harleys and all. Now usually I have no problem with them, or bikers in general, but they're not exactly known for being quiet. My point was proven when they all broke out in raucous laughter as one of them tripped over a chair. I looked at Shelby and begged her with my eyes, but she shook her head and walked away laughing. I grabbed my pad and headed over to the table they were about to sit at. I cringed as one of them dragged another table across the floor to put it next to their original one. As he finally stopped moving the table and sat down, I glared at him.

"Are you done? Is there any other furniture you'd like to rearrange? How about that chair over there?" I asked, pointing to a chair on the other side of the cafe. I immediately regretted my sass as the group of men all burst out in their loud laughter again, ribbing their friend as he looked at me with a smirk. "What can I get you, guys?" I asked, looking at my pad.

"You're wearing sunglasses inside," the furniture-dragger remarked.

I sighed and looked back at him. "Ten out of ten for observation. Would you like a medal? Or perhaps a little gold star?" They laughed again and I looked to the blonde man who's cut had the 'President' patch on it. "Your orders?"

"Six coffees please darlin'," he said, before craning his neck to look at the cake display on the counter. "You got any of those triple chocolate muffins?" I nodded. "Two of those as well please."

"Sure, won't be long," I told him, ignoring the other men who were still joking around. As I walked back behind the counter I saw Shelby watching me with a raised eyebrow. "What?" I asked her.

"Well, you can't beat service with a smile," she said, motioning with her head to the Bulldogs.

"I said I'd work. I didn't say I'd be nice," I grumbled, walking past her to get their order together.