6: We'll Both Get Drunk!

Shelby had given me the next day off work, but I had gone to the café anyway. I had spent the morning lying in bed moping until lunchtime when I forced myself to get up. I was sitting on a stool at the counter, pushing my food around the plate, when I heard the bikes pull up. Shelby looked at me with wide eyes.

"Um," she started, her eyes flicking between the window and me.

"I know. It's okay," I said with a slight smile.

I heard them pause as they came through the door, and could only guess they'd seen me at the counter. I couldn't bring myself to turn round, knowing that I wouldn't see him with them. I felt an arm drape softly on my shoulders as a kiss was pressed to the top of my head. I looked up to see Jay and smiled at him.

"How are you holding up?" He asked me.

"I'm okay," I told him, looking back to my plate.

Shelby scoffed. "She says that, but she's been playing with that food for half an hour now and hasn't touched a bite."

I glared at her as Jay squeezed me. "I saw him this morning," he said, making my whole body tense up. "He was asking about you,"

I didn't say anything but looked up when I felt Shelby take my hand in hers. "You should go and see him, you know," she told me.

"Shel,"

"No, listen. You need to see him, not just for him, but also for you. You can't sort your head out if you don't,"

"I told him I was out Shel, at the first time of trouble. He knew the deal when we first dated," I reminded her.

She nodded. "Yeah, I get that. But you still need to have a conversation with him. Mel, you're both in hell right now. This is the only way you'll be able to move forward. Even if that is on your own,"

I felt Jay tense up but he kept quiet when Shelby shook her head at him and scowled. I looked up at her again. "Will you come with me?" I asked her.

She shook her head. "You need to do this on your own, honey. This is between you and him,"

"No I just mean, well will you wait outside for me. I'll see him on my own but I need to know you're there,"

She sighed. "Okay, we'll go when Tia gets in, alright?"

I took a deep breath and nodded. I felt Jay squeeze me shoulder as he walked over to the others. They were all quiet and subdued, and that just made me feel worse. 

***

I'd never been this nervous in my life. I hadn't been to a prison before; I don't think I'd even driven past one. The lady at the reception area had been lovely and had shown Shelby where she could wait for me. They'd made me empty my pockets and she had searched me. There was a whole list of rules and I was terrified I'd forget one and do something wrong. I wasn't allowed to touch him and I had to keep my hands on the top of the table at all times. I couldn't believe I was in this situation.

The whole building felt cold. The walls were painted concrete; a dull grey colour that just made the whole place seem even more depressing. As I was led to the visiting room, we had to stop at every door and wait to be buzzed through. Every time, the noise of the buzzer made me jump. My palms were beginning to sweat and my heart was racing. It was only made worse as I saw him across the room, sitting at a white metal table; his shoulders slumped in what looked like defeat. He moved to stand as he saw me until a guard called out his name in warning. He sighed and sat back down, watching my every movement as I sat across from him.