Short Story

Jamie could feel the tears forming behind her eyes. Her nose burning as it turned red. As much as she hated crying in front of her brother he needed to know he wasn't the only one in pain. He needed to see that she cared too.

She didn't need to look at him to see the tears rolling down his face and the what his eyes squished up. She knew he was crying. Their mother could die at any moment and they'd be on their own teaching their sister what mom was like and showing dad that love is possible.

But in this moment, right here, Jamie was pinching her palm as hard as she could trying desperately to stay strong. But as the words left her dad's crying mouth, she wept. This was the second time in her whole life she'd seen him cry. His world was crumbling from beneath his feet, she could see it in his eyes.

Her brother needed to go to bed and she needed to get away. So Jamie and Max left the room only to stand in the hallway clinging to each other.

"Don't think about it.. You'll give yourself nightmares. And if mom does die soon, just remember.." Jamie started to sob.

"She was happy while she lived.." Max cried harder. Jamie ran her fingers through his hair.

"Goodnight little bro." Max headed to bed, and Jamie went to her room and buried her face in a pillow letting everything out.

How was that for depressing? X Well I'm back so enjoy me while you can. 👍