PART SEVEN

August.

-

For the remainder of the day, I spend time with Nick back at his apartment.

It's just him and his mother that live here. It's a small studio that contains only one bedroom (which Nick occupies), the rest of the space such as the kitchen and living room is closed off with room dividers. He jingles his keys around into the keyhole. The door unlocks and gives off a small creaking sound while he pushes it open.

He seems tense, most likely because this is (surprisingly) the first time I'm able to see his living situation. We predominately spend our time alone at either my house or at one of his many secret spots around the city. The living room is cavernous due to the dark gray curtains encircling the room. His mother is laying on their cardinal red couch knocked out. I can't see her face since it's buried in pillows just ash brown locks of hair. She's hungover. Nick is standing in front of me, I know he can't see my eyes wandering right now but I still respect him and stray from staring.

He signals me to follow him and we walk over to his room. He turns the door knob slowly so he doesn't wake his mother.

"Alright then

"Alright then." He says to me releasing a mild sigh.

"I apologize...for all tha--"

"No Nick save it. You know I wouldn't judge you. I understand, please don't worry." I say affirmatively.

He releases a smile in return. His smile is probably the only sense of innocence left in him.

"I just hope that you to listen to me for a minute." He says while taking a seat on his bed.

"If I ever hurt you I'm sorry. I know it hasn't happened yet but it is bound to. I'm being painfully honest. My behavior is out of control and my mind is complex, I am completely aware. I've just learned to accept the fact that I just might be troubled. It's oka-"

I open my mouth slowly to try to get a word in but he just shakes his head.

"Please just listen

"Please just listen." He insists and pulls me closer to him to intertwine his hands into mine.

"My deadbeat of a father...oh fuck him. But my mother... see I love her but she wasted and still does waste her life away with all that bullshit drinking. I can't let that hold me back. Everything I do... I admit it's just a distraction but at least I can say that I'm happy. God, I hate using cliche phrases but life really is too short. I will most likely live a short life. So I just want to live a fast lifestyle now. I don't know if any of this makes sense to you but I just want you to know that I don't want my actions to overwhelm you." Nick says and lets out another sigh like his whole statement overwhelmed him more than he says it would to me.